no interest in nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by poncahills, Dec 26, 2010.

1. poncahills

poncahills New Egg

Nov 28, 2010
    i have 25 hens in a coop. i have an old ladder up for them to roost, plus some shelves which they seem to like at night. i have also have 12 nesting boxes. its about 2 feet off the ground and i have some planks with footing leading up to them. i keep them lined with sawdust and hay. however, the chickens don't seem to care at all.

they are about 4 months old -- and they aren't laying yet. is this normal, or should i rethink my design? the nesting boxes are about a foot wide and a foot and a half deep.

2. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    If they are only 4 months old and not laying they really have no reason to go in them, believe me when I say they will start going in them when they start to lay, I thought the same when my pullets weren't going in them and as soon as they started to lay they used them. So don't rethink your design just give them time to start laying, I'll bet they use them! [​IMG]

3. sixty7x

sixty7x Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    Warwick RI
    ditto what trunkman said. I've read that they may start to lay around 5mos. but mine didn't start until 6mos(no complaints though). I think they like to lay in an area that they feel is hidden, so if they do start to lay but not in the nest boxes try to play around with the placement of the nest box if possible.

4. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Quote:I had one pullet that laid on the floor of the coop till the others started laying, after about a couple of weeks she started to lay in the nest boxes as well. [​IMG]

5. sixty7x

sixty7x Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    Warwick RI
    there's even peer pressure in egg laying![​IMG] I've had multiple co-workers tell me that you need to get "in-there" and show them. [​IMG]

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    LOL At your silly co-workers!

I can see it now "Here girls [waves arms around and walks crazy] BukBukBuk BUK!.. Then an egg comes out here [points]"

Shame on them [​IMG]

7. poncahills

poncahills New Egg

Nov 28, 2010
    thanks guys! ill be patient

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by