No Interest In Treats - Yet?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by enggass, Jun 24, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Songster

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    At what age do chicks begin enjoying treats?
    I have tried giving them a couple of strawberries, but they do not seem interested.
    Nor do they seem interested in some of the ants that are around...
    They are just over 7 weeks old, and just went outside to their coop and run last Sunday.
    They seem very happy and are eating plenty of their own food.
    Is it an age thing?
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. Keene's coop

Keene's coop Songster

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    mine are 24 days today and have been in coop a dn run all week. i've tried strawberries and bread. no luck. so today i tried the cake part of strawberry shortcake and they were fighting over it. don't worry. they will eventually start eating treats.

3. LauraG

LauraG Songster

Apr 13, 2010
    Upstate, NY
    Mine are about the same age & the same way. I threw some stale bread in the run the other day, left for work, and when I came back--there it sat, completely intact.....

Once I sat there & broke it up for them into little pieces, they thought it was cool, but they wouldnt touch it unless it was in bits......

4. joedie

joedie Songster

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I gave my 7 wk olds strawberries yesterday and they didn't touch them either. They'll figure it out after a while.

5. paltinas

paltinas In the Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    My chicks are 4 1/2 and 6 1/2 weeks and have found that they love yogurt.... we gave them berries yesterday and they love them. Tried applesauce but they did not have any interest....

6. americancowboy

americancowboy In the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    georgia
    at that age try yogurt and in a few weeks they will start eating other treats you give them.

7. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Songster

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    The only 'treat' my three 2 week -olds are interested in is the moths that I put in there for them; then it is like sharks dining on a dolphin!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by