No laying eggs,

Niwatorilove

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2020
Australia
I'm very puzzled why they are laying very few eggs. I have 6 ISA Browns enclosed(about 140sq ft) with roof with deep litter method, they move around actively, give them 18% protein feeds, fresh water, no parasite, not molting. I have another 4 black hens next to ISA brown and they are free ranged. I release ISA to free range around 1pm, but sometimes later. Black hens give me 4 eggs every day. ISA give me 1 or 2, sometimes long odd shaped eggs showing some stress. They usually stay near the door as if they are waiting for me to open. Do you think ISAs are stressed out looking at black hens going around freely?

I'm very puzzled why they are laying very few eggs. I have 6 ISA Browns enclosed(about 140sq ft) with roof with deep litter method, they move around actively, give them 18% protein feeds, fresh water, no parasite, not molting. I have another 4 black hens next to ISA brown and they are free ranged. I release ISA to free range around 1pm, but sometimes later. Black hens give me 4 eggs every day. ISA give me 1 or 2, sometimes long odd shaped eggs showing some stress. They usually stay near the door as if they are waiting for me to open. Do you think ISAs are stressed out looking at black hens going around freely?
pho235.jpg

Are all the birds the same age ? It is not unusual for second year or older hens to take a break in their laying cycle now that day light period is decreasing.

In winter egg production decreases, I was only getting one or too eggs every few days during winter.

How old are your birds, in weeks or months?

Might want to keep them all confined for awhile after giving some exams to find out if they are laying or not:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1607264302214.png

How old are your birds, in weeks or months?

Might want to keep them all confined for awhile after giving some exams to find out if they are laying or not:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2438622
I live in Australia, but the climate is not the factor, because ISA Brown have been like that even winter, spring and summer. They all lay eggs but only one or 2 times a week. ISA is well know as most productive egg layers. That's why I puzzle.

I live in Australia, but the climate is not the factor, because ISA Brown have been like that even winter, spring and summer. They all lay eggs but only one or 2 times a week. ISA is well know as most productive egg layers. That's why I puzzle.
Might want to confine them all 24/7 for a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom