No-Leak Nipple Waterers?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by We4newbies, Apr 12, 2012.

1. We4newbies

We4newbies Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    We are planning to put in nipple waterers for our chickens(8 now with 4 more coming today...Gotta love chicken math!) in their coop, when it's time to transition them. However, on various sites that I've researched, there seems to be quite a difference of opinion on them and the quality of the various brands.
    -Since I will be keeping the water in the coop, does anyone have advice on the best company(ies) to order the nipples from?
    My hubby is very handy, so I only plan to buy the nipples themselves.
    -Does anyone have experience with nipples that do not leak?
    Thanks!

2. Hawgon

Hawgon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Welcome to BYC, I have used both the push-in style and the thread-in nipples from QC Supply, which I ordered online. I have found that I like the push-in type that come with a rubber grommet you put in the hole and then push in the nipple assy itself. I have 3 of those in my brooder and 2 push-in and 1 threaded one in my run by the coop. I found the threaded one to leak a little bit and had to unthread it and put on some plumbing thread tape and screw it back in to stop. Now I have no leaks in both systems but I prefer the pushin ones.
    Here on some pics of both systems. Good Luck with whatever you choose.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. We4newbies

Oct 28, 2011
    Thanks so much for your input, Hawgon! What a great system you have! Great pics, too.

4. We4newbies

Oct 28, 2011
    This is the "Hubby" referred to earlier.
    Was wondering if you use the valve at the end of your outdoor system as simply a clean-out/blowout valve, or is there some other purpose?

5. Hawgon

Hawgon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Simply for drain-out. The vertical piece before the nipple pipe in the run has a coupler on it and an on/off before it that I can turn off and then drain water and remove nipple assembly at coupling for cleaning or servicing. Works great..

6. ChickenJerk

ChickenJerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    The better quality nipples, those manufactured in USA or Europe, are less likely to leak than those from other places known for lower prices and quite often lesser quality. Ahem.

Most nipples leak because of particles in the water holding the mechanism open ever so slightly or not being installed perpendicular to the ground.

Wetness under the nipples, caused by birds wasting water when drinking, usually occurs from improper nipple height (usually to low) and/or to much water pressure.

7. We4newbies

Oct 28, 2011
    Good to know. I'll keep those tips in mind! Thanks.

8. ellandeeranch

ellandeeranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Do the chickens like a slow leak out in the run? I found mine sitting under the nipples today, enjoying the small shower in the 100+ heat. Still, I want to fix mine for sure. A bit of teflon tape or silicone should do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by