No light or heat needed!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by viktoriacl, Feb 1, 2011.

1. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    With this terrible New England weather I would like to report that my EE's started to lay in the begining of December. Their coop is not insulated or heated. I have no lights. The two of the four that started, lay every day to every other day. One tan egg and one blue. The only thing that I have provided is a well desined coop IMO and a heated water dish. So glad that I went this route for my first winter. Now I know they will be just fine!

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Mine are laying too in the metal shed with small windows cut out.They are surviving and laying,and thnakfully not attacking each other to much! I have EE and some red sex link hens.

I take water out 2 times a day and give some greens,cabbage,and apples.

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    My 3 ee have just started laying, and I don't even have the heated water dish. I am surprised as I have read that 3-4 times a week is about average for the EE's, but one of the 3 have given me an egg nearly every day! And it is green.

MrsK

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Mrs. K :

My 3 ee have just started laying, and I don't even have the heated water dish. I am surprised as I have read that 3-4 times a week is about average for the EE's, but one of the 3 have given me an egg nearly every day! And it is green.

MrsK

Mine lay pretty much everyday. Bigggg eggs, bigger then I expected from EE's.​

5. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    So Cool! I was reading so much about adding heat...insulation...light etc. They are doing just fine! So happy. They seem to be happy and healthy! They are pretty hardy creatures!

6. chickensbythesea

chickensbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    While a well built coop is vital in this weather we've been having, you also have to remember that pullets are laying machines. Next winter, should it be as miserable as this one, you'll be a lot more likely to notice the seasonal dip. (Sorry to be such a Debby Downer!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by