No Litter Method?

luckitri

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 13, 2008
I just move the pen to a new spot of grass every week. I don't use litter as I fear that when the winds come up they will blow into a neighbor's yard. Am I being lazy? I thought the fresh grass was good for them and I am in AZ so there is not a long cold season.

My second question is about composting. I am not starting one again because every time I move I never get to bring the compost with me. I have never had a chance to use my compost and it really hurts after I made all that effort and had good black dirt. So I am veering more towards the manure tea but wondering how long it will take me to accumulate 20 pounds of poop since my girls free range alot and I really don't have the time to go around picking it up piece by piece. . . . . and I will only have 6 to 8 girls.

Some people tell me that I can put the fresh chicken manure directly on my vegetable garden with no harm but the most information says no. They do kill the grass that their coop is on that week but with watering it comes right back in a week or two or three. I have not started a garden yet at this new residence and I am disabled so I do not have alot of effort to give.

Could use some help figuring this out.

Reading up on the tea has given me many more questions. Like, if it is 100 degrees out will the tea process more quickly or do I still have to wait 3 weeks? How much odor does the tea give off? (Trying to figure out which neighbor to put the bucket by.)

Some people tell me that I can put the fresh chicken manure directly on my vegetable garden with no harm but the most information says no.

Believe the information! I managed to kill a brand new apricot tree with fresh horse manure that had not been composted. Fresh chicken manure is even "hotter" than horse manure.

HTH

big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom