No longer laying eggs.... are they scared?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hlroudeb, Aug 27, 2010.

1. hlroudeb

hlroudeb Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    I have had 2 hens for 2 years that have laid eggs, and good ones, everyday.
    3 months ago I added 4 - 6 week old chickens to the coop.
    6 weeks ago one young one was killed by a raccoon in the night.
    My big hens stopped laying eggs that night, I believe.... but it may have been 2-3 day before.

It's been 6 weeks and I have never had an egg from them since......

Are they scared (this long?) about what happened?

Or is it possible they are upset about these new hens.
    The new hens have been in with them for 3 months, but the big hens just stopped laying 6 weeks ago. AND THEY BOTH STOPPED LAYING THE SAME DAY????
    OR if one of my 'hens' is a ROOSTER.... are they scared of him? (I'm trying to figure that one out in another post!)

Thanks!
    Heather - Noblesville IN

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  2. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

It depends on how old they are. They could just be taking breaks in between eggs as new layers do. Sorry for not being much of a help, however this is a hard question to answer straight out.

3. hlroudeb

hlroudeb Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    They are 2 years and 2 months old. Never missed a day... then both quit on the same day 6 weeks ago the same week my youngin' was killed by a raccoon. Also, I just found out one of the 3 new ones is a rooster!! Could he be the problem? Scared of him? He is 20 weeks old.

4. tarheelmama7914

tarheelmama7914 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Claremont, NC
    ours are doing the same thing except one lays one a day most of the time. They are over 2 years old as well. They stopped laying 2 days after my uncle brought them when the temperatures hit 98 and 99. My one egg is usually cracked when I go out to get it after I wake up. My 30 weekers that we raised have never laid at all.

5. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Could be molting. The heat could also be an issue. I have 3 hens of similar age that have quit laying now. Of the 3 one is molting and hasn't laid for a week or so now. The others just quit, so I suspect they are going into a molt as well.

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Shock, change, moulting, all can temporarily stop egg laying.

I would think that they will start up again soon,

Sandie

7. CathiP

CathiP New Egg

Aug 28, 2010
    Ok, so I'm a newbie and apparently a dummy! We have had chickens for a couple years. Up until a few weeks ago, we were getting 5 eggs a day. Thought one was sitting for awhile but nothing ever hatched. Then, all the sudden, they just stopped laying. I know it's been ridiculously hot but the weather has cooled off some the past week or so and still no eggs. I read some of the other posts and it talks about the possibility of "molting." I don't know what this is. Will someone explain please? Thanks!

8. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    you added hens?? my guess is the new hens spread a disease that stopped them from laying. you should DEFINETLEY see a vet!

9. outlawfarmer

outlawfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    New Hampshire
    they r just sensitive to change I have had similar issue since adding a new younger hen. The one she follows around as a mother stopped laying from the stress. I think its like having a kid follow you around the house saying daddy....daddy.....dadddy!

10. crusting

crusting Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2009
    Are the new ones eating the eggs perhaps?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by