No longer laying in boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hatchies, Aug 19, 2014.

1. hatchies

hatchies Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Last week after my chickens were attacked they each laid one egg that morning (assuming that it's because the egg was already formed). One that was injured has not laid since, which I expected, and the other has laid intermittently. The strange thing is, they won't return to their nesting boxes to lay. I'm sure sure if it's because the dogs that attacked dragged then and scared them out of their boxes (it happened in the middle of the night) or what.

Yesterday I went out to check on them and actually watched one of my hens lay right before my very eyes! (It was actually kinda cool to watch.) Every time she has laid since it's been on the floor of the coop.

Will they ever return? And why do you think they stay out?

Thanks!!! I love BYC!!![​IMG]

2. Free as a Bird

Free as a Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    New England
    The fact that they aren't laying regularly could be because of stress. I don't know why they aren't laying in the boxes but you could try putting fake eggs in the boxes. This will show them where "others are laying" and make them think it is a good idea. Even egg-like things such as golf balls would work.

3. hatchies

hatchies Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Thanks! One of the girls has returned to normal laying but the other still hasn't laid since the incident. I suppose it will return with time, after she has fully recovered from her injury. The strange thing is though, the girl that lays has started laying in a new box that she never used previously. These creatures of habit are sure throwing me off![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by