No longer sickly, but very very noisy!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KellyKelly, Nov 30, 2009.

1. KellyKelly

KellyKelly New Egg

Nov 14, 2009
    Hi,

I posted before about my hen seemingly sick. We thought maybe eggbound but no, then we thought broody. I started encouraging her out and about but she still seemed depressed. Someone suggested she needed a friend as she was by herself. So I got another hen. Since having the new hen my original chook still hangs out in the coop a fair bit (still off lay) but now comes out every so often to cluck as loud as she possibly can!! Is she just marking her territory? Will it end soon? My husband and neighbours are about to kill me [​IMG] She is really really loud!!!!

Kelly.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  2. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    How long have they been together? The old hen is probably "complaining" and that might go on for a few days. Even though she is lonely, it is difficult for her to accept new flockmates. It takes a while for them to get to know and accept one another. If they are not fighting terribly (a little pecking is okay) then I would just let them be, and in a few days they should be getting along much better. Make sure they both are able to eat and drink (perhaps a dish in the coop?). Give them treats, leaves, etc... to distract them and shut her up for a while.

3. KellyKelly

KellyKelly New Egg

Nov 14, 2009
    YAY!! You were 100% right!! After about 3 days they got over it. It was a new introduction and they seem to have sorted it out. Chook A still gives Chook B the occasional peck when she gets too close or has a piece of food she wants. Now the only time Chook A makes a fuss is when Chook B is in the coop laying an egg. Maybe jealous (Chook A is off lay), I'm not sure. The new addition has fixed the original problem of broody, lonely Chook A [​IMG] That I am very pleased about!

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Glad it worked out and you have a happy coop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by