No luck with light Brahma pullets iso pullets!

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Jandsloch, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Jandsloch

Jandsloch Songster

Apr 3, 2019
    Nw pa
    ive checked out the breeder directory. No breeders in PA for light brahmas. I’m desperate! My kiddos have a project planned for next year. First batch of light Brahma pullets both turned out to be cockerels. 2nd batch purchased online 2 out of 4 cockerels! They don’t honor guarantee until 10 weeks and then I would have to pay shipping plus order more than what they messed up on because it will be too cold to ship just a few :( I need them laying by spring-ish. So here I am scrambling to find 2 light Brahma pullets.

2. Trimurtisan

Trimurtisan Chief Chicken Choker

May 22, 2019
    A cypress swamp in FL
    Is incubating eggs an option? If so, one of the breeders I deal with locally here in Florida has LB. I'll actually be picking up about 18 eggs this Friday. If you're interested, I could try to put you two in connection.

These are a couple of juveniles I bought from her.
    20191023_181648.jpg 15465.jpeg 15466.jpeg

BlueBaby likes this.
  3. Trimurtisan

May 22, 2019
    A cypress swamp in FL
    I should probably add that I do not know what she charges on a regular basis. I do receive a discount, but that's because I'm a pretty regular customer. I can say she is competitive with pricing though, and not greedy.

4. Jandsloch

Jandsloch Songster

Apr 3, 2019
    Nw pa
    I don’t have an incubator

Trimurtisan likes this.
  5. Trimurtisan

May 22, 2019
    A cypress swamp in FL
    Well if anything changes and you are interested feel free to reach out.

6. Evelyn Walker

Evelyn Walker Songster

Apr 3, 2019
    Florida
    If you'd be interested in hatching, I'd recommend purchasing this incubator (or a similar one, Amazon has the same model from multiple different sellers):
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073XD9GZ1/?tag=backy-20
    We've had nearly 100% hatches with it, it works great with a few adjustments (easy on the wallet, too!) :)

7. AltonaAcres

AltonaAcres Songster

Jan 13, 2019
    Try Murray McMurray, they are hatchery quality, but they usually place well in youth shows..........

Trimurtisan likes this.
  8. Jandsloch

Jandsloch Songster

Apr 3, 2019
    Nw pa
    I appreciate it. They have a high minimum bird purchase and I’m not wanting a ton. My kiddos actually want to try breeding so an incubator is in the future just not now. I also don’t want chicks less than 5 weeks right now because our winters are brutal and I don’t have a brooder. Hubs refuses chicks in the house again :( was hoping the last 4 I got would be pullets as they should have been and all this would not be an issue. So we may have to just stick with 2 girlies for a small project.

Trimurtisan and AltonaAcres like this.
  9. Jandsloch

Jandsloch Songster

Apr 3, 2019
    Nw pa
    Actually looking into incubators for the spring lol

BlueBaby and Trimurtisan like this.
  10. Jandsloch

Jandsloch Songster

Apr 3, 2019
    Nw pa
    Thank you I will be getting an incubator but it’s too late in season for chicks up here with no brooder yet. Building a brooder under poop board in the spring for their projects. We just converted 10x10 shed into coop and figured brooder was last on the list as no chicks till spring lol so....go figure on my 2 out of 4 boys ‍♀️

BlueBaby and Trimurtisan like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: