No matter which side of the fence you sit on...

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by debilorrah, Mar 28, 2011.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Speak up!!!! Ken's best friend in the whole world called tonight to see if we can give him some eggs. He and his elderly parents have been eating dry noodles (like those onions things) and meatballs because they have limited income and no food. They had to register both their cars and had no money left for food.

If you need food, TELL SOMEONE!!! If you have food, offer it up. His friend was lucky - we had 6 dozen eggs and a whole bunch of stuff we had stockpiled. We told him not to wait so long. I always have two or more of everything in the cupboard. He took 6 bags of food and a case of soup home and honestly, we could have given him more.

In this economic rollercoaster, no one will be surprised if you tell them you need food. Please do not wait until you are eating dry noodles and meatballs three times a day.

2. mchl

mchl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    you know i dont know you but im proud of you. to many people dont care, and then to many are to proud to ask.

3. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Growing up I remember stories about my pawpaw calling up poor people around our area and saying: Hey our freezer just went out, would you like to come get some of this stuff and put it in yours or use it? That freezer went out a lot of times, and for some reason pawpaw always had plenty for his family and others.

4. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

In the little mom and pop grocery store I work at, I see more and more of this every day. This is no longer a laughing matter, not that it ever was. I see people bringing in dollar coins they have been saving "just because" and I see elderly people picking up canned goods and putting them back down, but then buying a can of 50-cent cat food, so their kitty will be able to eat . . .brings tears to my eyes. Paper products are ridiculously high, milk is going up again and bread is terrible. . .everyone please watch out for the elderly in your neighborhood or family. Pride is so important to them, but you just never know when they are so down and out they are like Deb's friends. I am starting to stockpile, and have talked to a number of people who believe the same thing I do. . .within 2 years the food supply in the Midwest, as well as the rest of the country, is going to be compromised to the point where we aren't going to have certain things to eat. . .unless we produce it outselves, so plant an extra tomato and pepper for that neighbor too . . .its so little what we can do to help the needy.

5. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Heart warming stories. God bless you all!

6. mchl

Jul 30, 2010
    Hey watch theem old people and that cat food. I heard of problems of them eatin that stuff be cause of it being cheap. no joke

7. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I use to kid about "alpo" and how good it was when you sliced it and rolled it in flour and browned it in oil and what good gravy it made. No more.

8. mchl

Jul 30, 2010
    aint that the truth you would have to be alone and desperate i would think.

9. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have a friend who I suspect has trouble keeping food on the table some days. I always try to have an extra carton of eggs when I know I am going to see her. I'll probably also have an extra chicken or two when we start processing more birds.

10. mchl

Jul 30, 2010
    if we all kept an eye out for one another this world would be alot easier on everyone. I will start fishing alot and share as much as i can. its going to get alot worse im thinking i hope im wrong

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by