No matter which side of the fence you sit on...

This last winter when they changed the rule about unemployment and DH went 3 months without a check we did go to the salvation army for food boxes. That is what got us through some tough times. I always try and give people eggs and veggies from my garden. When I had a stocked pantry I would help out people I knew needed it. I had a friend that told me that they had no food so I would help out until Her son said that mom bought some videos and games and said not to worry about food because aunt Pam has a fully stocked pantry so she will give us food. I don't mind helping but I won't give food to someone who blows their money on junk. To Deb you and your DH
thumbsup.gif
for helping your friends. Those people who get food out of dumpsters call it freegian (sp) they get all their food out of dumpsters. I know her most stores give their extra food to the food back or salvation army.

The sad part is that in many rural places there are no soup kitchens and if there are, they are too far away. Many times I have had to not eat for a day or so in order to feed my kids and put gas in the car so I could go to work. Life can be a struggle.

I'm a profession who never thought I'd find myself at a food pantry, but about seven years ago, I'd been unemployed for 1.5 years, had run through my savings, was barely able to make my mortgage, I ended up in counseling (offered through my county) due to the stress and they set me up with medical care, discounted utilities and a food pantry. I only ended up needing to go once - I landed a job shortly after - but was I grateful! I didn't know where to go or turn, but fortunately someone offered me some help and one thing led to the other and I got what I needed for support. Very grateful to this day!

the law for restaurants is holding times on like mc donalds burgers is just minutes.. same with coffee. cheese slices etc. then it is to be thrown out. unsafe to eat.. it would be hard to get the leftovers that are thrown away..it is the same for any product open.. mayonaise, eggs, breads etc. i know the food banks around here collect grocery store products that are still good to eat but not pretty enough for customers. mostly produce.. some will take venison that you have hunted. but then others are very picky about what they will accept

First I want to say thank you for helping them out. I have been at both ends of this. Last fall I lost my job of 5 years and DH has been unemployed for 3 years. We where down to our last can of chicken noodle soup when I finally got a job at Walmart, but the check didn't come for another 3 weeks. Thank god for family who helped us out.
Then three weeks ago I was sitting at work on lunch and one of the younger girls (17) came in and sat down. I said "lunch" she said yeah. I said what are you having, she said nothing. Why? I questioned. No money she said. They took our food stamps since I am working here.
This girls mom is disabled (very very heavy set and can't work) They live in a one room apartment with no door for the bathroom because her mother couldn't get through with the door on. The rent is $250 a month which the 17 year old pays, if there utility bills get paid she pays them too as well as for her cell phone. Her mother gets disability, and sometimes helps out with the bills with it, when she doesn't I am not sure where that money goes. I bought her lunch and gave her $5. I know its not a fortune but its something. A few days later there was a sale on laundry detergent (only $1 a bottle) so I bought us 4 and her 4. I have never seen a happier 17 year old then to receive laundry soap.
We all need to try to help someone else out when we can. Sometimes I get frustrated by the system. I see elderly couples come in and all they buy is a loaf of bread a sack of potatoes, a sack of clementines and some milk and maybe a couple cans of food. All to often there foodstamps doesn't cover it all and they have to put something back. Then we get the young parents in there who will buy two carts full of food that totals over $300, including all name brand foods, and lots of soda, and energy drinks, and steak. (things that to me are not necessities) and when it prints the reciept at the bottom it will say remaining foodstamp balance 286 or something like that. I understand they have kids but it just seems like it should be a little more evened out, more to the elderly and those who can't work, and less to those who have the ability to work, even if they have 3,4,5,6,7, or like the one lady who comes in 8 kids, with one on the way. She spends over $800 a month in food stamps on food, I have no problem with big families I think its awesome, I also think if you are going to have 9 kids you should be able to support them yourself so we can help those elderly and disabled people who right now are getting nothing or only $18 a month in food stamps.

Just my two cents worth, and sorry for the rant!

Edited because I forgot what I was going to say to start with: It drives me nuts how much food the deli at walmart throws away every night. Seems like that food should go to someone, somewhere that needs it. Usually 6 gallon buckets of warm deli food just because its 8 and they shut at 8. and our walmart is a small one in a small town. I can't imagine what the huge supercenters throw away every day

Last edited:
When my daughter and I stayed at a shelter a few years ago they often would get "leftovers" from church pot luck dinners and weddings. They would bring whole pans of cooked food (untouched) for us to heheat!
I wish there was a way for restaurants to give away left over food....some of those Buffets are huge!
Just last year I would see 2 homeless guys hanging out by a convenience store. I wouldnt give them money but did bring them a cooked breakfast or lunch on paper plates on several occasions.

Last edited:
When I lived back home there were a lot of times we had to go to the food pantry and get those god-send bags of food. My mom is not the best person in the world, but one thing she said to me gave me a little bit of respect for her "I won't go there if we don't need it, there are others out there who need it more than us."

Milk is very expensive, and here is something the boyfriend and I have started doing to cut down the cost: We drink 2% milk anyway, so we bought a glass container and now we buy a gallon of whole milk (same price as 2%) and add water to it in the glass container so that we end up with 2 gallons of milk for every gallon we buy. It acutally even tastes more milky than buying the 2% and it saves us $4!

I don't really know anyone in Florida, but once my vegetables start coming up,we will have more than enough to share with anyone that needs it.

Back
Top Bottom