No meat night...what do you make?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by BettyR, Jan 6, 2010.

1. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    We usually have one night a week where dinner is a no meat night. One of may favorites is pinto beans, rice and cornbread, but tonight I'm making Tex-Mex Cheese Enchiladas. I'm cooking on a pretty tight budget so I've been thinking of doing no meat night twice a week instead of just once and I could use some more ideas. What is your favorite no meat meal?

Cheese Enchiladas

1-26count- pkg. corn tortillas
    Heat each corn tortilla by dipping it in hot oil or about 10 - 15 seconds per side and stack them on a small plate until all are heated. Cover with foil to keep warm.

2 pound package Walmart Mexican blend grated cheese

4 Cups of Red Sauce

MAKE THE RED SAUCE:
    4 Tablespoons of lard or bacon drippings
    6 Tablespoons flour
    4 cups water
    5 chicken bullion cubes
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    2 Tablespoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4-cup tomato sauce
    dash of Cayenne Pepper

Melt the fat in a large saucepan over low heat. Add the flour and
    cook and stir until the flour is lightly browned. Add the water and stir with a wire whisk until smooth. Add the bullion, chili powder and cumin and tomato sauce, cook until smooth and bubbly. Cover and simmer on lowest heat, about 10 or 15 minutes – I let it cook while I put the rice together. Gravy should be very thin, if not add a little water to thin it out.

To Roll Enchiladas
    Pour 1/2 of the red sauce into the pan that your going to put the enchiladas in.

Place a small hand-full of cheese in the middle and fold over and roll. Place the enchiladas in the pan in the red sauce. When the pan is full spoon the rest of the red sauce over the enchiladas, sprinkle with cheese and cover with foil.
    To serve place your enchiladas on a plate and heat in the microwave until very hot, serve with refried bean and Spanish rice.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  2. mikenandrea

mikenandrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    Douglas, GA
    A big Ole' pot of Vegetable soup [​IMG]

3. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Macaroni and cheese from scratch. I usually add some broccoli. A nice salad and I'm happy!

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Spagetti and garlic bread

ETA: If plain spagetti seems too plain, I love this recipe:

Un-meatballs
    1 1/2 c bread crumbs
    1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
    1/2 c chopped walnuts
    4-6 eggs, beaten
    1/2 c chopped onion
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/2 t salt
    oil for browning

Combine all ingrediants (except oil), mix well. Shape into balls. Brown meatballs in oil in skillet, drain. Serve in spagetti sauce.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  5. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Homemade pancakes mmmmm!!
    MIX:
    2 cups flour
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    1 FARM FRESH(lol) egg
    enough water to get the right consistency

This is cheap cheap cheap, and SOOOO good! Especially on a cold winter night. Comfort food [​IMG]
    or
    We have been known to eat fried hushpuppies and fries by themselves and that is cheap and easy as well.
    I have also just whipped up a batch of homemade rolls and some homemade honey butter for everyone to gorge themselves on, and they DO gorge!!
    When there are too many leftovers in the fridge, pull everything out and cut into serving or bite size, heat it all back up, and load down a serving tray.
    It doesn't matter if it "goes together" or not, everybody gets to choose what they want, and most of it gets eaten instead of wasted.
    The kids and DH love our unconventional dinners like these. It breaks the redundancy of tight budget eating while still within budget!

6. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

No meat night...what do you make?

Chocolate Chip Cookies....​

7. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Chocolate Chip Cookies....

[​IMG]

8. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    Penne pasta with asparagus, basil, pine nuts and feta cheese. If it was up to me that would be fine for a meal, but I usually have to make chicken with it, the wife has to have meat.

9. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:Thanks for this recipe! I usually mix a can of storebought enchilada sauce with a can of condensed tomato soup. Mine is good, but I like the sound of yours better. I will try it! I bet it's very authentic-tasting.

10. harryg6167

harryg6167 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Kentwood
    Red Beans and rice along with collard
    greens or mustard greens and cornbread.
    (Will sometimes fry up some hushpuppies with
    onions mixed in to go along with it.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by