No medicated food for ducklings, right? & how long in the incubator?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Cherlyn, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    I have both medicated and non-medicated. I have always heard to not give ducks medicated food. Problem is, I have one duckling and many chicks hatching today, and am planning on putting them in the same brooder (one duckling on his own would be too lonely). So if I cannot give the duckling medicated food, then I need to figure out how to keep him away from the chick food.

~Cherlyn

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

From what I've read here, medicated chick feed is fine. Older chick feed had stuff in it that was toxic to ducks, but I think now it has amprolium which is safe for ducks. Someone else should chime in here soon.

3. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Some medicated is alright, it depends on what it is medicated with. I used to know which one was bad, let me see if I can find the article that I read again.

Well, I cannot find it but I believe the above post is right because I remember that the amprolium was the good medicated feed. I have never had a problem feeding mine Purina and Dumor chick starter.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  4. Correct--feed them non-medicated chick feed. I have had a lone duckling, so what I've done is pick up healthy looking chick and placed in a brooder with the duckling and fed them both non-medicated. Chicks don't have to have non-medicated, but it does help prevent things like cocci. I know a lone duckling can be very unhappy by himself as they are social creatures! [​IMG]

5. Cherlyn

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    K, another question. How long can he stay in the incubator? He hatched 3 hours ago, and I have three other pips on my chicken eggs, and six others not pipped yet.

~Cherlyn

6. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I never wait. I take them out as soon as they dry (quickly!) and sometimes re-wet the sponges. I just don't have a problem and think that you have to be pretty slow taking the chick out to lose enough humidity to even worry about. Just my thoughts, I know, everyone says different but I know what I do and know it isn't a problem.

7. mberry222

mberry222 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2008
    Kingston, TN
  8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Medicated is fine as long as the "medication" in is amprolium/amprol. That's what I've always raised my call ducklings on.

9. Cherlyn

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    No amprol listed anywhere - what other words should I look for?

~Cherlyn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by