No Money? Bartering In This Economy!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Birch Run Farm, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    I have found quite a lot of success with bartering poultry, services, eggs for stuff I need but do not have the money for. I have a nice pair of boots coming for an exchange of eggs with one person.

Now I have a licensed electrician bartering his skills/labor for my poultry experience. Some birds, eggs and training so he and his family are self sufficient raising meat and eggs. I am very excited the chickens are paying for themselves in more ways than one!

Anyone else finding bartering success?

2. Steve

Steve Ye Olde Henhouse Builder

When I was restoring my 1969 Chevelle SS, I bartered work for parts I didn't have. Saved me a bunch of $$$

3. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:I always try to barter before paying cash - luckily, our neighbors are like minded, (and frugal, poor, or limited income, also) so they like to barter, also.

Oh, and I just traded ShelleyD 3 chickens for 6 jumbo quail, I was very pleased, been wanting some, and she got the chickens she wanted, also.

Now if I could just convince my one neighbor (a builder, he did our front porch) to build me a back deck for unlimited eggs for a year [​IMG]

4. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    I have bartered eggs for some razors (nice razor too new of course.) and shampoo one time..

I like to barter first.

6. Hackles

Hackles Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Ahh! The old ways are coming back, isn't it nice? Bartering supplies has been extremely successful for me lately. It's so much nicer than trading things for paper slips. and,you can bare in mind that what you gave to that person is going to do him/her some real good.

7. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    I just had our one of our mower decks welded up with the promise of a couple dozen eggs when they do start laying some day, soon.

8. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    I love bartering, and wish it were more common! We just bartered with a friend of ours (licensed electrician) he did some wiring in the new part of our basement (now we just need sheetrock, and flooring!) and he got several bushel of corn for his corn stove. [​IMG]

9. Steve

Steve Ye Olde Henhouse Builder

I could PM you a picture if you'd like to see it.

10. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN

I could PM you a picture if you'd like to see it.

Please do. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by