No more brooder for me....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by darin367, Oct 18, 2011.

1. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    Let mooma do it this time.... so easy... even with 35 d. temps at night, 50's in the day.... week old chicks running in n out of the coop, learning to scratch, go in at dark, already accepted by the flock..Can't believe how fast the little guys get with the program..... Don't think I'll use the brooder again.....

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:I thought the same thing but sometimes they just won't get with the program and go broody when you need them too!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I can't get rid of the brooder and incubator. I just don't have enough go broody to hatch and raise enough chicks for my purposes. But when a hen goes broody, she gets eggs to hatch and raise. Often I'll put a few more in the incubator so she can raise even a few more, especially if the weather is nice where she can handle some extras. She also gets an honored place in my flock, where she can expect to have some of her eggs hatch and hopefully pass on that broody trait.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I love hatching under broodies! It's so much easier!

But I still need an incubator for the times I need to hatch and nobody is broody.

5. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    I will let my girls do all the work when it comes to hatching eggs but I will use a brooder to raise chicks if i don't have a broody hen to out them under.

6. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    All this talk about having a broody hen.... this is only my second natural hatch and the first time i took the chicks and put them in a brooder..... but both times i just piled up 12 eggs in a box and a hen decided she wanted to sit on them... seems easy to make them broody..... maybe i'm just lucky, or i have smart hens..... lol...

7. NorthestGeorgia14

NorthestGeorgia14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2011
    Rome Ga
    I just leave it up to the mommy

8. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Oh the broodies are nice! No integration issues. My chicks are almost a week old and are pretty much ignored, because if you don't you get full force ninja silkie on you. I've probabaly been fussing over the broodies to much but they tollerate me, I bring scrambled eggs.

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Lemme guess - silkie or cochin? Not too hard to make either of those breeds go broody. [​IMG]

10. spowell

spowell Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:Lemme guess - silkie or cochin? Not too hard to make either of those breeds go broody. [​IMG]

X2. My silkies can lay an egg today, and if I don't pick it up, they can be broody on that one egg tomorrow [​IMG] But that's why I have them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by