No more cheap remnants at bix-box stores?

Chemguy

Songster
8 Years
May 30, 2011
Springfield, Ohio
Hi All. I'm writing to see if anyone else has noticed the same, and maybe even to alert those who might be in the same situation as I.

I'm building a new (first) coop, and am trying to minimize costs as much as possible..... without risking safety, durability and stability. I have been pricing linoleum remnants for the floor , and have found that they are priced the same as the linoleum that is on the roll. In other words, the remnants are no longer cheaper! Has anyone else here noticed the same thing?

I found the same thing at the big box stores. I went to a local floor company and was quoted $8-10 for any scrap big enough for my coop. Try a local floor company that has tons of remnants they need to move out of their storage. My piece was 7 x 6.5 for $10, and it's pretty! (He would have taken $8) You may even get an ugly one for free
wink.png
The girls wont mind
lol.png

I agree, your best bet is not with the Lowes and Home Depot crowd. They have been charging the same for the remnants for at least a few years in my area.

Two years ago I got some carpet remnants for half off at HD. Just got mis matched and dented olympic brand paint at lowes for $5 a gallon can... originally 23 and 26 a can. Re-store sells up to half used gallon cans for $3 a can.

Might depend on the big box store you are at. I can find way better reminant and dented items at the big box stores near Seattle vs the one out here in college town.

The Restore is awesome for anything you might want for building. Other great resources are your local freecycle, the free section of Craigslist and your own neighborhood on garbage night or when you see a construction dumpster. I know Home Depot has the mixed paint for a score at $5 a gallon. There are good colors too. They are often just paint gallons that the person had mixed and then didn't pick up.

Back
Top Bottom