No more eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mcjessen, Oct 25, 2011.

1. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    Just wondered if anyone else has seen a drop in egg production.

I have three chickens. All were laying a week ago. Both of my Buff Orpingtons are apparently on strike because they haven't laid in 6 days. My Black Australorp is still going strong.

One BO was sick over the weekend. I isolated her and she's doing better now - never did find out what was wrong with her. The other BO shows no signs of illness but isn't laying either. I looked around outside to see if they were sneaking some eggs past me but I couldn't find anything.

Food and water is being eaten regularly, they get roaming time and treats every day and I've added light to the coop to adjust for the shorter days.

Anybody else seen this in their girls??? I'm perplexed.

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    weather change...days getting shorter....if you add some light to the coop, say on a timer, for a few extra hours, (4am to 7am) it will help increase the egg production back up...
    if there is nothing stressing them out...it is most likely the shorter days.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=423023

follow this link also....

daylight, moulting, stress...all causes...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I get about 1 egg a day out of over 30 girls of laying age, but, that's because almost everyone is molting right now. Sorry for your mysterious issues.

4. heatherscreations1969

heatherscreations1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2011
    Derbyshire UK
    It's normal babe, I have 3 chickens and I'm lucky if I get 2 eggs a week now it is getting towards winter....also I have 2 chickens molting (no eggs while they molt).

*hugs* Heather x

5. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    Thanks everybody.

I can't add light in the morning as we have a "noise ordinance" and I have VERY particular neighbors so I can't let the girls out of the coop until 7 am. The girls get kind of loud in the mornings. So, I've added light at the end of the day. It's on a timer and comes on at dusk and shuts off around 830 - 9 pm. I'm adjusting a bit as the days get shorter. I may try upping the light to see if I get any results. I have seen no indication of molt yet - as far as feather loss - come to think of it, there was a pile of feathers in the yard on Thursday. Thought maybe one girl just got in a tussle.

Seems odd that chickens would molt in fall/winter. It was 29 degrees last night. Brrrr! How can they stand those temps with less feathers?

Thanks for the link. It was informative.

6. Blueicebird

Blueicebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Watkins Glen
    My Khaki Campbell stopped laying. It's been 2 days... Only 4 of my 8 hens are laying (Newbies) and my duck is the only one I have. It's been 2 days since a duck egg, but the other's are still going good. Confusing and frustrating I must say.

7. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Are you sure they aren't hiding eggs? Do they free range? I thought I had a big drop in production, but then I pulled a bag of wood shavings from a top shelf in the coop and guess what fell on my head? Yep, 22 eggs...

8. lizage

lizage Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    My 4 banties have stopped laying. Of course, one has been broody for a few weeks [​IMG], but my standard size girls are still laying. I assumed it was due to less daylight as well (we're in No. IN). They are still pullets too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by