No more eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicken995, Oct 27, 2011.

1. chicken995

chicken995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern Colorado
    Hello all. I have a California White who laid a couple of white eggs about three weeks ago. She laid two in one week, I haven't gotten any since. What could be causing this. A few of my brown egg layers started after her and they are going strong now despite the shorter days.

So I'm led to believe she is either eating her eggs, or something is wrong with her. I have not seen any evidence of egg eating. No random shell pieces or anything of the sort. When chickens eat their eggs will they destroy all of the evidence?

Any advice on what might be going on would be great.

2. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Sometimes when mine do that it is because something stresses the hen. Some of my hens are very sensitive and something such as the weather, overcrowding, new birds, etc. throw them off for quite a while. Do you know how old she is? Have you changed anything recently, i.e. food? You might want to treat her with some Sevin dust and maybe deworm her in case she has something going on as far as pests go.

3. chicken995

chicken995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern Colorado
    She is 27 weeks old. I changed food from an all-flock to a layer feed at about the same time she started laying. Other than that, no changes.

4. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Try giving her a little protein boost. I give my flock Calf Manna when I know they aren't laying when they should be and it gets them going. However, this is the time of year the girls quit laying because of the days being so much shorter. It is just their way of doing things. However, having supplemental light to trick them into laying is possible. There is plenty of info on here on how to do it.
    Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by