:-( No more free ranging for my kids.

Orpingtons Mom

Crowing
14 Years
Jun 4, 2009
Fredericksb'g/Culpeper VA
So, for the past two weeks my kids have been free ranging quite happily. It’s been wonderful. They have enjoyed themselves so much! I’m sure it’s like watching your human children laugh and play outdoors.

This morning in the cool air I was drinking my coffee and watching them run around like nuts. You know, Chicken TV.

And then I heard it. A hawk’s cry. It went on far at least 10 minutes. They didn’t get it was danger. They have a place that is very safe to hide...and they didn’t understand they had to hide.

What do I do? Is this hawk migration? I haven’t heard a hawk for a year and a half...they all seem to get hit by cars. So sad...

They are young. Hen raised chicks learn more about the scary stuff out there. Those we raise and protect are more clueless.

Hawks are a big problem here. I usually have to break up routines and go out to check on my free ranging girls several times a day. Sometimes the irregular presence of another predator deters the hawks. It’s not a fail safe, my girls learned the hard way being attacked unsuccessfully several times. Now they know to alert when they see the hawks, stand still near cover or run for cover. But I understand there is a big risk to allow them to free range....My chickies are 1 1/2 years old.

Young birds with no elders to teach them are more vulnerable, until they learn the hard way about flying predators. There's no totally safe way to free range your flock. Sooner or later you will have losses, and while a hawk may take one bird at a time, some ground predators will kill everyone at once!
Having sheltered places to hide will help with raptor issues, but only a covered run is secure.
Mary

I don't free range any more due to losses from predators. My birds have nice large pens. My land is mostly open pasture so there is no place for them to hide. I have had a hawk kill a bird right in front of me not 10 feet away. It happened so fast. I was in our blueberries and one of the birds followed me in. It didn't take her but did kill her even though I was standing right there. Good luck...

hawks 'usually' hunt exclusively in the morning hours .. my birds are only free-ranged, no pens no covers .. had plenty of losses over the years ..a couple of simple rules prevents 90% of hawk problems 1)they never get let out of the coup before 10am, preferrably 11am 2) religiously put them up at the same time every evening and lock them in 3)never let them out and leave. .. if a hawk(s) is hungry they will occasionally hunt late but that not the norm, if you see a hawk watching your flock and have the opportunity i wouldnt hesitate to shoot it, it will be back, for sure ... check your local laws, here you have a right to defend your livestock ..

hawks 'usually' hunt exclusively in the morning hours .. my birds are only free-ranged, no pens no covers .. had plenty of losses over the years ..a couple of simple rules prevents 90% of hawk problems 1)they never get let out of the coup before 10am, preferrably 11am 2) religiously put them up at the same time every evening and lock them in 3)never let them out and leave. .. if a hawk(s) is hungry they will occasionally hunt late but that not the norm, if you see a hawk watching your flock and have the opportunity i wouldnt hesitate to shoot it, it will be back, for sure ... check your local laws, here you have a right to defend your livestock ..
:welcome :frow

Back
Top Bottom