No more free ranging

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Poultrybonkers, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    Since whatever those boogers where playing in I have a rash and blisters because of them. I don't think it's poison ivy since it don't itch and when I had poison ivy it itches like a mother plucker. What ever it is I don't like it and I don't want it to spread. So either untill I kill the weeds or fence the yard in no more free ranging.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Any chance you may have developed an allergy to chickens feathers? Just a thought.

3. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

They will be mad at you....

but that's the breaks for them getting into something that causes alergies on your skin.

Ever considered a portable poultry enclosure? Maybe it could be the best of both worlds. When mine free range they come on the steps, on the porch, on the deck and poop. Then I have more cleaning to do which I'd rather not. So now I either supervise and redirect them, or I put up a poultry netting fence with built in stakes. They do get out---but it takes longer than it did before for them to find the porch.

chickens...what can I say?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  4. Poultrybonkers

Mar 22, 2011
    Does anyone know where I can get strong week killer?

5. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Quote:Lowes has a lot of stuff. There is some weed killer and then there is grass and weed killer and they also have poisen ivy killer that is pretty strong stuff. They could help you find something for sure. I would keep them from "grazing" anywhere you sprayed for a little while.

6. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Definitely keep them from free ranging where you have sprayed weed killer. DD lost a whole batch of babies because of that.

7. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    You can get good weed killer at ant Wal-Mart, Roundup works great.

8. Poultrybonkers

Mar 22, 2011
    I wouldn't let them free range until it's clear I don't want to risk losing any.

Another question how long do I half to wait until the bird is safe to touch without reinfecting myself.

9. Arizonachicken

Arizonachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I would call a local weed control company. Roundup will kill your grass, too, and probably not be as effective as you want. There are products that are specifically for weeds in grass and licensed companies have access to great materials that are unavailable to private consumers. You also probably want to apply a pre emergent herbicide so you don't keep getting the same weed coming up. A local company can identify the weed and use the appropriate material to get rid of it for you. They will also have knowledge on how the material affects avian life, etc. Hope that helps! [​IMG]

10. homesteadapps

homesteadapps Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Ohio
    Quote:A solution of vinegar, soap, and salt can kill many weeds, even poison ivy.

OR

Any herbicide from Walmart, TSC ACE.....

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by