No more freezing spout on rain barrel in NE Ohio YEAH! Thank you DH!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chicks4MyFamily, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Chicks4MyFamily

Chicks4MyFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Valley City, OH
    We use a rain barrel connected to gutters off our chicken coop to supply water for our chickens. We live in NE Ohio and once the temps started to drop the spout on the bottom of the rain barrel kept freezing. After hauling water back and forth for a couple of days in freezing temps my DH took 2 minutes and fixed it and now NO more freezing! He took a 5 gallon bucket with a lid we had laying around and cut a hole in the side of it and hung it from a rope over the spout. Then he hung a drop light in the bucket and TA DA no more freezing and I don't have to haul water anymore and we figured out the freezing water container issue and even with the coldest day of the year we haven't had any issues! YEAH!

2. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    Ok, I'm trying to imagine this...the bucket hangs infringe if your rain barrel, with the light and spigit inside, so the light keeps the spigot warm, right? Us that enough to keep the whole barrel thawed?

3. Chicks4MyFamily

Chicks4MyFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Valley City, OH
    I will try to take a picture tomorrow. The bucket just hangs outside rain barrel over the spout with the drop light suspended inside the bucket. Bucket contains heat from drop light to keep spout from freezing and we have a deicer in rain barrel which keeps the barrel from freezing :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by