1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No more freezing waterers this year

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Omran, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Hello dear friend, I am so glad , today I went and bought two dog bowls heated waterer for my two flocks, temp around here are in the singel digets every night and even in da time I wa braking ice and changing water at least 3 times a day.
    $19.99 each from TSC.

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I have two of those myself! I love em in the coops so I know the birds have water before I wake up!

I also have an unheated red bucket hanging on the fenceline that I bust out before I leave for work. Guess where the birds all run to when I let them out of the coop????
    You guessed it! [​IMG] It's like they have been locked up without water to see them running for it! My neighbors must think I'm cruel!

BUT, the water level goes down in the heated dog bowl, so I assume they are drinking from it too [​IMG]

I just find it funny [​IMG] Those weird chickens!

3. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:You just made my day, thank you for letting me know that it works, because I was wondering if it will or not.
    thanks again.
    omran

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I got 2 a few weeks ago at a local feed store for $15 on sale- They work even in snow deeper than the bowl! I went out and realized I'd forgotten the one outside the banty shanty and it was a hole in the snow with nice liquid water! The now was several inches taller than the bowl.

I'm tempted to put one in the coop upside down as a heated place to thaw feet!

5. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    I use the heated dogs dish and it was 6 degrees this morning with high today of 18 degrees and no freezing of water. Gotta love it!!!

6. stretchc1

stretchc1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    I have one too and have been super-pleased that the chickens don't try to stand up on it and do what chickens do when they are up on something...

I did put my dog bowl on top of two cinder blocks so that the chickens don't have to bend over to drink. I think that probably helped with the potential perching situation.

The only bummer--and it is a minor one--is that every other day I need to empty the bowl and refill it with fresh water (sand, leaves, etc. tend to blow in and settle to the bottom). With the temp outside at about 15-20 degrees, it's hard to find a place to dump out the water. I don't think my hens would appreciate a skating rink in the run!

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Well I just got myself and automatic waterer that has a float. They won't run out in the HEAT of the summer.

8. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    I bought several last year, best thing I ever did! The chickens are so much happier and so am I!! I searched online for the best price, I think I ended paying something like $12.99 for nice big ones with free shipping because I bought several.

9. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I set up my small flock today. Do you know those desktop coffee warmers we all have too many of? I set up a ceramic bowl on top of one and filled it with water. It keeps the water warm enough that it won't freeze, but in the cold outside, it's cool to the touch. Perfect!

10. urbanolive

urbanolive Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    asheville,nc
    I was JUST looking at those at TS. Didn't buy because you can see the heating coils on the bottom and it looked like a fire hazard. So if one of these was set upon some cinder blocks it would be safe ? I am soooo paranoid of the bedding catching fire !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by