No more frozen water!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Creekbank, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Creekbank

Creekbank Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2014
    Northeast Indiana
    I saw this set-up at another's guys coop and decided to go that route at my coop.
    He had as section of "hog panel" on the wall that had openings of 2"x6". Outside the chicken wire he had a heated dog water bowl. The hens would lean thru the hog panel to get a drink. Wow! Now the water stays cleaner and I can change it and add more water without even going into the pen. [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Great idea!

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Slick!

4. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    Now if this could be done for a 5 gallon container. This amount would not last an hour for my flock.
    You can do the same thing for feed, where they can only stick their head out to eat (no scratching it out but they still do the "toss" thing when eating. Same thing though, only good for a handful of chickens. I have around 50, give ot take

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  5. Creekbank

Nov 30, 2014
    Northeast Indiana
    If I had 50, I'd have a longer hog panel and 3 heated pans. I'm getting 15 more hens this week, to make me 30 layers. I'll have two heated bowls.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You could also put hog panel in a different configuration. Perhaps bend it in a U shape over the water, so they could approach it from both sides. I especially like the way you've got it set up so you can fill it from outside the coop. I have asthma, so benefit from being in the coop as little as possible.

7. Creekbank

Nov 30, 2014
    Northeast Indiana
    Good idea LG on bending the hog panel!

8. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Make a 3 sided alcove where your hens can drink from 3 sides of the chicken fountain at once.

9. KuroKitsune

KuroKitsune Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Kansas
    Here's my water set up for winter.....bird bath de icer to keep it thawed and the tub is a 12qt rubber tub meant for horses or other livestock and the fencing around it is to keep the ducks from playing in it and getting gross super fast....been working great since been up and going

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by