1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

no more GE foods

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by PurpleMoon, Nov 18, 2008.

1. PurpleMoon

PurpleMoon Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2008
    The internal layer thread got me wondering...
    If I wanted to stop using regular feed what else could I feed them that would be health?

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I believe organic chicken feed is not supposed to be made with GE ingredients. You could look at those.

If you want to mix your own feed, then you'll need to find a recipe and a source for non-GE ingredients, unless you find a recipe that doesn't contain any ingredients that are a potential problem. There are other threads on the forum discussing mixing your own feed, that you could look at. If your goal is just to eliminate GE foods, you can go either way.

3. PassthePeace1

PassthePeace1 Chillin' With My Peeps

What is GE food?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Genetically engineered.

5. PassthePeace1

PassthePeace1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Oh duh...lol....I have to look for the other thread....thanks

6. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Just curious here...........WHAT THE HECK........did our grandparents feed their chickens before ADM and the like?

7. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Quote:My guess would be cracked corn, table scrapes and whatever else they could forage for. Of course they probably didn't keep their chickens as pets either.

8. Village Farm

Village Farm Out Of The Brooder

Quote:If you read some old textbooks or pamphlets, you'll see that those that were in the chicken business planted feed for their chickens. There were various recommendations for planting and different strategies for different times of year. The usual goal was to use the minimum acreage to support the maximum number of chickens.

Those who kept chickens for family use would usually feed table scraps combined with the same feed used for their other animals. A high percentage of those families would have cows, goats, sheep, etc. Practically all of them would have had horses. All those animals means spilled feed as well as lots of manure that invites bugs and other things yummy to chickens. Most of these families would have had a garden, so would have had vegetables that damaged or iffy. Since many "family" chickens would have largely foraged for themselves while ranging free around the house, it may not have taken much supplementation at all

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    They could also eat the little leaves from alfalfa hay, which is still a popular food. Plus, they didn't have pesticides to douse everything with, so there were a lot more bugs to eat. My own chickens eat leaves and seeds from native plants growing on the property, if you follow them around and watch them. Nothing beats a juicy bug, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by