NO more giant turkeys for me!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by greyartist, Nov 28, 2010.

1. greyartist

greyartist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2010
    NC
    They are just too difficult to work with. Won't fit in the plucker, no pot big enough to scald in, no pan big enough to cook in! Did I wait too long? this one was the last we did, it was 6mths and weighed in at 28lbs dressed without the wings. I was told they were heritage bronze, but do heritage birds get that big??
    [​IMG]
    turkey 28lb by greyart, on Flickr[/img]

2. magistradomina

magistradomina Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Where I live.
    Oh my GOODNESS! That is a HUGE turkey!! I don't know what kind of turkey it is though... [​IMG]

3. Me & My Peeps

Me & My Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Western MA
    WOW!! Im jealous!! I want to raise some just for this reason. Nice....

4. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    That looks like a broad brested bronze! Heritage birds don't get a breast like that. My 9 month old standard bronze dressed out at 14.6lbs.

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    LOL yeah the big ones can sometimes be a problem but 28lbs is just a nice size, you just need to roast it in a 2" tall big stout metal shallow pan so you can baste it well and it can brown all the way down to the bottom, I also let it rest on a small strong metal rack while cooking in the pan. I have raised some monsters and one yr my 38lber wouldn't fit in the oven LOL.

AL

6. aka Rachel

aka Rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

My non heritage breed white turkey toms, at 4 1/2 months weighed 27lbs, so your's is probably what they said it was.

I cook mine in a large square roaster, fits much better [​IMG]

edited cause I can't spell!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  7. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Nice bird but for sure not a heritage, mine at 6 months tipped the scales at 9-11 pounds.

8. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

It was a broad breasted bronze I would think. We raise standard bronze and while large they aren't that large.

Steve

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yes heritage breed Tom can get that large easy if feed right. Plus alot of different heritage breeds, some large some small. Can tell it wasn't a royal palm...with their v-shaped breast

10. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    Are you sure of the weight? My turkey was 27lbs and didn't look near that big. I guess it could be the pan, I have a 2in high rectangular roasting pan. We sold a 40lb turkey that looked that big.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by