NO. MORE. GUINEAS!!!! (but I want more!)

swampducks

Overrun With Guineas
11 Years
Feb 29, 2008
Barton City, MI
Okay you sensible, logical, clear-headed people.

With my mini guinea disaster still on-going (11 alive out of 23 and some are still iffy after a week) I am trying to convince myself that I don't really want to call Estes about that guinea sale going on simply to make myself feel better. I really don't have room for 30 keets anyway, it's already August, winter comes early up here, maybe the other 11 will survive, what if the next batch gets stuck at the PO for another weekend...besides, they probably don't have any left and why call them only to be disappointed?

And the 25 chicks are doing well and there are still duck eggs in the 'bator even though the last 8 were duds.

So, tell me I'm crazy to even consider the idea and I don't really want my husband to call me a NUT again, right? I mean, this costs money, ya know?

big_smile.png

I wouldn't get more this close to winter. I only have 3 of 6 left of my guineas. Who knows if I will do them again next year? They were a lot of trouble!

Last edited:
What kind of trouble are you guys having with your guineas? I have 9 six week old ones, and would like to know what I should be watching out for. They just moved into the enclosed (fenced on top too) run with my chickens and seem to be doing well.

Mine were shipped early with no warning because they hatched early I was told, they got stuck in a PO for the weekend and showed up unexpectedly Monday morning, with 6 dead, more dying shortly thereafter and the remainder are not thriving, after one week some are still no bigger than when they arrived.

The hatchery, of course, will only guarantee them for the first 48 hours after arrival, no matter that they screwed it all up in the first place.

I am peeved and now may not have any by spring to breed. Otherwise, I've never really had problems with guineas before.

:|

Back
Top Bottom