no more heat???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by newtothis2011, Jun 23, 2011.

1. newtothis2011

newtothis2011 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    my RIRs will be 5 weeks on monday they are pretty well featherd out and have been in the coop 2 weeks now. They have been allowed to go out in the fully enclosed run during the day for the last week but I've still been giving them a heat lamp at night and securing them in the coop. When do I stop offering the heat? Do I also have to close the door between the run and the coop after they go in or will they stay in the coop for the night when they go in without my shutting the little door? The coop/run is built better then fort knox and nothing would get in but I am new to this. Thanks for the help everyone [​IMG]

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    It's high summer now. So long as they are not wet and not directly in the wind if it's really windy and cool then they should not any longer need any additional heat.

Most of us are having problems with too much heat this time of year.

3. newtothis2011

newtothis2011 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    its in the 60s at night here still so I was unsure, but thanks

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:They are ready to be off the heat lamp.

Also, if your chicks can go and out the pop door so can predators. They should be locked in their coop every night. A run, by design, can never be as secure as a well built coop.

5. silkie101

silkie101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Plantcity Florida
    yes they can go out just make sure you lock them up so nothing can get to them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by