1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No more Leghorns for me

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jajika, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    I don't know why, but my two cute little white Leghorns died for no apparent reason that I could see.

Two years ago I had cute little hen named "Skinny Butt" because she had a little skinny butt. She was adorable, feisty and lively.

Two years later I found her in the small coop---dead. All the other chickens were fine. It was clear she wasn't attacked.

I got another one after that happened. Then, just today, I came home from work, and there was "Skinny Butt II" dead. All the other chickens were fine.

I have one chicken 11 years old, another eight years old and the rest between two and five.

I don't get it? Is there something about Leghorns that makes them weak and die early?

It's heartbreaking as I'm a typical suburban backyard chicken person where all my chickens are pets, have names and get buried when they die.

Gri

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I'm sorry for your loss. My chickens are pets as well, and it hurts whenever we lose one.

3. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    I am sorry that your chicken died, and for no apparent reason. But just because you have had two White Leghorns die doesn't really mean anything. Don't give up on Leghorns.

I suggest you try the Brown Leghorn varieties. They are very beautiful, especially the roosters, if you should happen to want one. All Leghorns are hardy chickens, and of course they are champion egg-layers.

It would be nice to know what killed your White Leghorns. Is it possible you fed something to your chickens that just happened to have more of an effect on the smaller Leghorn? I know that avocado can be poisonous to chickens, and there are other foods like that.

4. Jajika

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    Hi Buttit & Gryeyes:

Thanks for your good note and understanding. I may try a different kind of Leghorn next time.

Your question is my dilemma. The chickens didn't get anything new. They all get the same thing every day and do extremely well.

Your are correct though that even when I control their food, one can find something that is not OK.

It's mystery and thanks for your support.

Geri

5. jrgfallbrook

jrgfallbrook Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Fallbrook California
    "Avocados are poison to chickens".....I live on an avocado grove, my chickens are free range and eat avocados all the time. I have had no problems.

6. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Here is a previous thread on avocados:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/421464/whats-the-deal-with-chickens-and-avocados

Here is a post from HeritageHens

Persin poisoning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persin

Persin is a fungicidal toxin present in the avocado. It is generally harmless to humans, but when consumed by domestic animals in large quantities it is dangerous. It has been suggested as a treatment for breast cancer.

The chemistry of persin is not yet understood, but it is similar to a fatty acid, carried in an oil, and it leaches into the body of the fruit from the pits. Negative effects in humans seem to be primarily in allergic individuals.

Feeding avocados or guacamole to any non-human animal should be avoided completely. The symptoms include gastrointestinal irritation, vomiting, diarrhea, respiratory distress, congestion, fluid accumulation around the tissues of the heart and even death. Birds seem to be particularly sensitive to this toxic compound.

In birds, the symptoms are: increased heart rate, myocardial tissue damage, labored breathing, disordered plumage, unrest, weakness, and apathy. High doses cause acute respiratory syndrome (asphyxia), with death approximately 12 to 24 hours after consumption...

7. Jajika

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    Good to know. Fortunately, even without know this, I've never given my girls avocado. For sure I won't now.

Thanks so much for the info.

This is why I love this board.

8. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    Sorry your hens died. That is always tragic. My 5 live in an enclosed area and we dump avocado skins in the area all the time in an attempt to compost them. They never touch them (smart chickens maybe) but its also not killed them so far.

9. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    I am not an expert. But it is probably like alcohol with people. A person can have several shot glasses of whiskey, but if a person drinks a whole bottle of whiskey that person could die from alcohol poisoning.

I was just trying to imagine some kind of food that may have killed the smaller Leghorns while the larger chickens survived.

Maybe it was something they ate, disease, a parasite, or something else. It is strange that she had two White Leghorns die under similar circumstances, and there was no signs that they were attacked.

10. braindead101

braindead101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Midwest.
    Sorry to hear about Skinny II.

Bullitt if you need to get rid of avocados, send them my way. I loove avocados.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by