No more silly broodies...this one is CRAZY!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelleyd2008, Nov 13, 2008.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    And she is only part silkie!! She has been brooding on a golf ball for a few days, so a fellow BYCer brought her some eggs! I have been putting her eggs in the bator, so there weren't many.

And she at most is only half silkie, but I doubt she is even that much!

Her eggs are due to hatch on December 4th. Crazy broody!!

2. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    Thats not crazy.....she's just being a perfect little silkie. [​IMG]
    Now, I HAD a crazy silkie. She was broody for a few times, kepst getting off the nest between day 15-18. did that 3 times. Then, on her next batch (yes, I did try again), she cannabalized the eggs/chicks on day 20. I was so mad, she went to go live with someone else. I was nice, and didnt put her in the stew pot. Only silkie I ever had, that wouldn't sit for a year (LOL) on a rock. [​IMG]

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    You have to love Silkies [​IMG]

I love my little broodies - I'm just running out of places to put them [​IMG]

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    It could be worse! I only have 3 silkies of laying age and they are ALL broody right now! It started with one, so I gave her some eggs to set... now they are all setting 3 eggs!?!?! They all stopped laying, and they are ALL driving me nuts!

What impresses me is that my first to go broody was broody a good week and a half before I got eggs under her... the eggs are duck eggs so they'll need 28-30 days not 21.... she is setting them like a good girl and won't give up. She only budges when she shares with the others and she sits right next to them watching the whole time.

Silkies are amazing, and CHEAPER then an incubator! [​IMG]

I would probably break and give her a couple eggs just for the heck of it. Once they hatch and she's got chickies.... she'll take such good care of them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by