no more????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coltsrox, May 30, 2008.

1. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    question my babies used to eat out of my hands when they were babies but now i tried tletting them and they like pecked me on purpose and not a a innocent one, like it kinda hurts....will they not eat out of my hands anymore? their now almost 11 weeks old...

2. pullet2hen

pullet2hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Arizona
    I don't have an answer but mine do the same thing. Hurts my feeling a little along with my hand.
    [​IMG]

3. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Your chickens are in their "child" stage. They are not just sweet helpless babies anymore, they are learning to act like adults and explore the world in a different way. NEVER take it personally when an animal does something like that...pecking you too hard, cat scratching you, etc. The animal does NOT mean it personally. They are just being what they were designed to be, doing what they are meant to do. Your chickens are not being mean, they just don't know their own strength and how that peck actually hurt you. They are growing and changing, and all animas go through phases like this where they "act out".

I have(and currently do!) worked with SO many different kinds of animals over the years, and I have been bitten, pinched, scratched, cut, filleted(lol), b ruised...the list goes on...byh nearly all of my creatures. Sometimes it hurts EXTREMELY bad(cockatoo), sometimes not too much at all(small snake)...but I make a point of never letting it hurt my feelings. They don't mean it to do that, so keep that in mind when it happens and don't let yourself see it that way!

4. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:I'm pretty sure my cat means to attack me intentionally haha, but I don't hold it against him... he's my baby, but really, he's insane.

5. Sparrow

Apr 11, 2008
    [​IMG] ^^Mine do that s ometimes too. But, they're just being cats and not intending to make us sad or feel hurt(emotionally, at least [​IMG] hehe ), so it's easy to overlook.

6. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:lmfao, really... you have to take me completely seriously on this, my cat is INSANE, his mother was feral and his father a bengal cattery escapee, ... he has insane genes on BOTH SIDES, and he had to fend for himself for 3 days out in a ladies barnyard because his mother abandonned him... and he was only a week old! THIS CAT IS MENTALLY DEMENTED, but I lovers him anyway [​IMG] ... he's the kind of cat that flies off high furniture and rafters at your face.

7. Sparrow

Apr 11, 2008
    ^^My Mom had a cat like that too!! lol He was raised in similar conditions to yours, and he was pretty wild and insane. He stalked the neighbor children and attacked men. But, I guess it was just a product of his upbringing. It's strange how nutty some cats can become! [​IMG]

8. woodward farms

woodward farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    northwest indiana
    my 9 week olds did the same thing..

I made effort to feed them just a special treat from my hand and that treat never from the ground. i cut fresh corn off the cob and let them pick it off my hand, and have also used canned peas. after 2 days of this my birds were great. and that was long ago. even today if i put feed or scratch in my hand they turn in to unpolite little pigs. and i get nipped.

so i would say pick a treat and just feed that treat from your hand. the person that turned me on to this did cheerios by hand.

9. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Your baby chicks are now rebeling teenagers!

10. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:lmfao, we have one of those hanging cat toys off one of our doors in our house, and i swear to you, i came into the room one day and the cat was nowhere to be seen, i closed the door and he was SWINGING FROM THE END OF THE TOY LIKE HE WAS ON A TIRESWING. I'm not sure HOW he managed it, but he was just have a real riot swinging back and forth, he was even holding himself on with his back legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by