No movement day 13

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kelebek1977, May 3, 2016.

1. kelebek1977

kelebek1977 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2014
    Hi,

I candled my eggs today. I only have three fertile left out of seven. Two are black pekin and one cream legbar. All were showing life from day 6.

Day 9,

I candled and all well.
    Day 13 (today) and one of the pekin has no movement. There is a dark patch where the chick is but not as many veins as before. With my other pekin egg, there is even movement in the veins! Has the chick died ? There is no smell or signs of a red ring inside so I'm not sure what to do to be absolutely sure the chick is dead or alive. (Apart from candling)

Here are some photos. Any help would be lovely please.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. thebulg

thebulg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    North carolina
    Looks good to me! It's very possible you have a chick who was napping away. I believe the rule of thumb is if there is no odd smell, no bloodline, no leaking fluid, you keep hanging in there until one of those things happens or you get past day 25. It looks to me like you still have a great air cell.

My husband would tell you that egg is a roo, bwcause it knows how to nap ;)

1 person likes this.
  3. kelebek1977

Sep 4, 2014
    WOW REALLY!! I wasnt expecting a positive answer. :-D Thank you....I'll definitely keep going with it.

Does it change anything if the veins are not as prominent or moving? I think i'm just comparing to the other pekin egg. :-/

4. thebulg

Aug 20, 2015
    North carolina
    Not at all. I can't see the veins moving on any of my 3 eggs that are incubating, but all 3 are growing and developing! You'll want to candle on day 18 before lockdowna nd that will tell you a lot-if there is all black, you've got a viable chick! If the air cell has grown, probably good to go! But as long as there is no clear sign of death, assume it's alive and just getting cramped and the veins are secured to the shell of the egg now :)

5. kelebek1977

Sep 4, 2014
    Thank you!! This has cheered me up gigantically :-D I can't wait until next week when they 'should' hatch

xxxx

6. Thistledewfarm

Thistledewfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2016
    I don't want to intrude on your post but I'm gonna lol
    Just candled my eggs and does this look right??
    Sorry for the crappy picture! [​IMG]

7. kelebek1977

Sep 4, 2014
    Intrude away :) No worries :) I think this egg looks pretty good. What day is it?

1 person likes this.
  8. thebulg

Aug 20, 2015
    North carolina
    I'm going to guess between day 9 and day 13? If i am right, then itls probably good ha!

1 person likes this.
  9. Thistledewfarm

Thistledewfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2016
    Your good! Day 10 [​IMG]

Thanks clearly it's my first time!! Haha!

10. thebulg

Aug 20, 2015
    North carolina
    Well how exciting! I love watching them dance around in there! Such a neat experience. One of these days i will teach my kids for their first science fair, and then pass the darn torch haha! The candling torch that is ;)

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by