No movement, Day 14?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by williamsl77, Dec 21, 2011.

1. williamsl77

williamsl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    So I candled today at Day 14. The eggs look like they should, mostly dark. I don't see movement, though. I tried hard to see movement. I know the chick could be resting and has less room than it did at Day 7. Is it likely at all to be not alive at this point. I haven't had significant temp or humidity issues that I know of. Is movement easy to see? Anyway... I don't want to keep trying as I don't want the eggs getting too much time with the incubator lid off. And I probably won't candle again for a couple of days, but I was wondering if I SHOULD be seeing movement and if I should be worried if I don't.

2. HetaChick

HetaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    California
    I've had eggs at that point and didn't see movement that hatched anyways. Give them a few days, but be careful with candling, it'll only be a few more days until you have to put them on lock down. I think people candle the day they're putting them on lockdown (day 18?) so you can check again then for movement, but don't worry too much. I didn't always move when I wanted them too, but they hatched fine.

If your temperatures and humidity have been fine and all of your eggs are similar in not being able to see movement, then I'm willing to bet their okay. Are your eggs easy to see into, or darker shelled eggs?

3. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I only candle day 10, and sometimes day 18. I almost never see movement. Don't worry, be happy;-) Deb

4. williamsl77

williamsl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    Sorry... just realized I didn't answer egg color question. They are light colored silkie eggs. I haven't candled them today and I don't think I'll candle again before lockdown. Just going to let it be what it's going to be! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by