No! My little rouen is so sick! Help!?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by xIndigoSkyx, Aug 13, 2011.

1. xIndigoSkyx

xIndigoSkyx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    St.Albert, Alberta
    My little girl Brownie is sick the back of her neck is bald because of the drakes I have(were getting rid of them) she has bumble foot AND she's so skinny I can pick her up with ease and I feel no fat on her.

1. Is there anything I can do about the bumble foot? It's hot on that foot but there is no black scab.
    And 2. What should I give her to get her strength up? She's stopped laying and I'm not sure if she eats anymore because I don't see her eating when I feed them in the morning and night.

Please can you help? She's my favorite baby and I really don't want her to be in any pain.

2. SaraFL

SaraFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    My best guess would be to separate her, feed her lots of yummies and see how she eats, and try soaking the foot. Maybe give her some of the vitamin supplement in her water. That's where I would start.

Hopefully one of the more experienced owners will share some advice.

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Offer her some hardboiled egg yolk mashed up. Seperate her from the boys, leafy greens, peas, ect. Use the custom search here on BYC for bumble foot, there are lots of threads going over the treatment. Her neck feathers will come slowly over time when she is away from the boys.

4. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    I would check on the search in here for bumble foot and see what you need to do to care for her. And I agree with Sara - separate her and give her electrolytes and vitamins in her water AND Niacin NOT the no flush kind, just regular Niacin. It grinds up and dissolves easily - 100-150mg/gallon of water. Then feed her good nutritious treats and her layer feed. Also, when I separate her, I would keep her in eye contact with the other ducks, so she isn't lonely, or put one of your calmest females in with her to keep her company. I've only had ducks for a year now, but that seems reasonable to me.

I hope she recovers quickly!

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Ditto on separating her. Too many drakes, too much aggressive mating, can hurt her seriously and keep her from laying.

She needs rest, clean water, vitamins, good food. Get more girls or rehome the boys.

Once you see how to treat the bumblefoot, keep at it - it takes a while. I prefer not to try to lance or open the foot.

By the way, the foot problem may be a sprain or break from the mating . . . there are topics about sprained toes and ankles, I recommend you check those out.

6. mr.mc.

mr.mc. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Indiana
    poor thing! [​IMG] I wish I can help.

7. xIndigoSkyx

xIndigoSkyx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    St.Albert, Alberta
    Her neck feathers are growing back now, I've bought he vitamins and I'm now giving them to all my ducks. I'm just watching he bumble foot and soaking it and keeping her separated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by