No neck feathers on one hen only

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shannon84, Jun 20, 2017.

1. shannon84

shannon84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    Hi, I'm somewhat a newbie chicken owner. One of my hens is missing a ton of neck feathers! Surely that not from my rooster is it?

2. PatrickRoo

PatrickRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2017
    Southern Illinois
    It's likely your rooster. Keep an eye out for your rooster, they usually jump on a hen's back and begin plucking out the hen's neck feathers.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Roosters do not normally pluck out neck feathers. Part of the mating process is when the rooster grabs the back of the hen's head. That is her signal to raise her tail feathers out of the way to open up the target. Without the head grab there would be no fertile eggs.

Some roosters, especially cockerels, don't have a very good technique and will remove head feathers. Some will grab the comb and may cause bleeding. It's possible the head grab can cause problems but it is not normal. Cockerels and pullets can be much worse but it is not usual for a mature rooster and hen to have an issue with this.

Can you post a photo of the hen showing the missing feather area? It's possible it is from the rooster. Is she a Turken (Naked Neck)? If it's on the front of the throat it may be feather picking. When a chicken molts the first feathers lost are on the head. In Indiana this time of the year I'd be amazed if it is a molt but lets check. Let's see if we can determine the cause without automatically blaming the rooster.

4. shannon84

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    She is a new hampshire red. My rooster is about 3 years old I think now. I have a hen that tries to mate her too for some crazy reason I don't know why here is a pic it's a perfect circle of missing feathers all around her neck. She's already had her yearly molt. Thanks guys Snapchat-65461948.jpg

5. Chickassan

Chickassan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2017
    Berea, South Carolina
    That looks almost rubbed off. Do you have any holes in your setup she could be sticking her head in?

6. MillersFarm

MillersFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2016
    Lewiston NY
    Looks like mites to me, the rest of your flock may not have it but i'd treat both her and the rst of your flock before they get it too.

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    That's not damage from a rooster mating. I've never seen anything like that on the neck, I haven't a clue. You don't have someone plucking her feathers and playing a practical joke on you do you?

8. shannon84

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    Whats best to treat mites if it's that I'll go ahead and treat her? No holes in her coop/run. I have a dominant hen could it be her doing this you all think? I'm really concerned now just my husband and I here and our rooster is crazy so he would never let anyone near the hens .

9. PatrickRoo

PatrickRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2017
    Southern Illinois
    You can make a dust bath in a kiddie pool using DE, ashes, etc. Dust baths help prevent mites and lice. You could also buy mites and lice treatment spray that I guess you spray on the chicken that has the mites? Hope this helps!

10. shannon84

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    Thank you! They do take dust baths pretty regularly but in random spots but I need to try to find all their little spots so I can sprinkle the DE powder. If it's not mites what could it be then?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by