1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No need for mixed corn?!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by EzONeill83, Sep 10, 2012.

1. EzONeill83

EzONeill83 New Egg

Jul 16, 2012
    Shropshire
    I popped to the vets this morning to register the girls now they are settled in and the vet was kind enough to have a long discussion with me about the care of my chickens (he happens to keep them too). Here is the low down...

- If you are feeding your chickens a decent quality layer pellet, there is no need to feed them mixed corn
    - If the chickens are not eating raw veg, it is because they are not hungry
    - chucking grass cuttings over the coop, givesthem some entertainment (scratching for food)
    - Aaround 3oz of food per day per chicken

Now, this gent is a profressional but all chickens are different, so what do people think?

He also advised that if the chickens are getting pooey bums, it is down to over feeding (this is something i asked about).

Any feedback most definitely welcome as this does conflict with some things i have read on here (the layer pellets/ mixed corn for exmaple)...

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I only mix in corn for extra calories in the winter.

3. EzONeill83

EzONeill83 New Egg

Jul 16, 2012
    Shropshire
    Do you know how long corn keeps? I could stop feeding them corn now and save it for winter...

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Hi welcome To BYC.
    I see you posted Shropshire as your location, is that England?
    Corn or mixed grains do not have to be added to a good layer. Large operations only feed layer. They do when given in the right amounts provide some benefits. A variation in the diet or something to scratch for on the ground for their entertainment. Grass clippings can do the same thing but add different nutrients.
    If your vet has bantums the 3 oz is close enough. If you have a larger chicken they will eat more. 4oz for lighter laying hens to 5or 6ozs for duel propose chickens.
    Uncracked corn can last several years in the right storage.

5. EzONeill83

EzONeill83 New Egg

Jul 16, 2012
    Shropshire
    Hi, yes Shropshire is in England- the Midlands. It is a lovely part of the country :)
    I purchased layer pellets from a local Country Wide store (a farmers equipment/ feed etc. store if you are not familiar with it), but I wouldn’t know if this is a decent layer? The temperature has dropped in the UK, so is it worth continuing with the layer / mixed corn until next spring, and then gradually wean them off it? I also put all grass clipping in the run, as I was told it provides 'extra entertainment' as they like to forage through it…

6. TenOC

TenOC Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2012
    In the USA corn is cheaper than feed. Save the $$$$

7. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    When you used the term mixed corn I thought it might be the Stropshire in England. I assume by that term you meant there is several different things in the mix like oats, wheat, and the American corn (maize I think some call it there.) That mix is what most on this side of the Atlantic call scratch feed. That mix does not have the compete nutrients for a balanced diet.
    The layer feed uses as its base a mix of grains and adds the other need neut rents. There should be some ingredient list on the bag or the store should know. Layer has added calcium for the laying hens to have a sufficient supply of calcium to make the shell. So I if you don't use a layer feed you need to provide a calcium supplement that they can use.
    So depending on the layer you are using and what else they can get, adding the mixed corn is optional. I use it by just throwing some on the ground for them to scratch for. One of the ways to keep the entertained. In the winter you can give them some alfalfa or luezern hay to peck through.

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Corn alone doesn't have what they need to be healthy and productive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by