No nesting box?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cdmaze, Dec 14, 2009.

1. cdmaze

cdmaze Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2009
    I'm new here!! I'm so glad to find this!

I've tried a few different kinds of nesting boxes and my hens don't seem to like any of them!

We have a fairly small coop- a large doghouse, actually- so, my regular nesting box had to stay outside. I found that they liked that box, but when fall came around, I bought some smaller, square ones to put inside my little coop. Well- they won't lay in the newer ones AT ALL, and they were just laying in the corner of the coop.

Is this ok? We plan to build a bigger coop when we can, but its not going to be for a while (when we have the $$ to do it).

It's winter, now and the egg production has gone WAY down, and I wonder if they are unhappy about the nesting situation?

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    What kinds of chickens do you have ? Maybe try putting asmall box in the corner where they lay .. I had a few that would only lay on the ground for a while and this helped ..

3. cdmaze

Dec 14, 2009
    I have a nice little variety pack: 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Americauna, 1 Jersey Giant, 2 Barred Rocks and a little White Silkie.

4. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    Well, production drops in the winter for everyone, so it may be that, and not so much they don't like the boxes. Where are they laying at? If they are laying where they did in the summer, might be they are just used to it, and like to go back there.

5. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I have 2 that change their laying spots. Right now, since one of then has stopped for the winter the other one will lay on top of some other cages that are in the coop that house breeding pairs. I don't know why she decided to start laying there. We always had just a shelf with hey on it and they made their spots. Usually they laid all in the same nest. Now we have those big plastic oil containers that are in a box and they seem to be happy with those. We also have a small dog carrier they lay in and they also have picked out their own box. I just need to get more containers. They work out well because they also sit on them and the strong courrogated boxes holds their weight. Our local convience stores give them to us. We've had them lay on the ground also.

My last years birds all laid in one nest. Boy the racket that would come out of the coop when more than 2 wanted to lay at once. I was in the coop visiting when this happened. There where 3 wanting to lay at once and I had a buff orphington that was very verbal. She wanted the others to move and they wouldn't so she squatted and laid it right there in front of them and the Jersy Giant reached out and rolled her egg under herself and just sat there like nothing happened. Oh the noise then when the orphington turned around and there was no egg. I wish I had my video camera out there then. It was hilarious. She squawked for about 20 minutes and the other 2 just sat there like nothing was giong on.

6. Countrywife

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    My girls are all getting locked up in thier houses tonight, and left there for a while. I have found 2 eggs in 2 weeks- this from a dozen hens that area all big enough to lay. They are hiding them somewhere, I simply can't find them. The son and I looked forever yesterday, and I am never home when they lay, so I can't catch them. So, no more mr. nice guy- they are all getting locked up tonight, each rooster with his harem in thier own house, and they are staying locked up for the next two weeks until I get some eggs MISSY!!!!

7. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    That's tellin them!. When I go out to the coop and there are no eggs I say, "Now ladies, if you don't pay our rent your outta here. Get busy and lay those eggs." They're used to me talking to them but I'm sure have no idea what I'm saying. I have a few that will chatter back. It's so cute.

On another note, they may have stopped for the winter. For some reason 4 of mine just started while 2 stopped. Maybe it's just time for them to start laying since their 6 months old now. I really hope they would stop. My incubator is full and it is near impossible to keep the temp right.

Keeping hem in the coop until they have laid will surely let you know if they have stopped or not.

8. Countrywife

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    My favorite thing to tell them is "eggs for breakfast or chicken for dinner- your choice". [​IMG]

9. cdmaze

Dec 14, 2009
    I bribed them with scraps today and begged them to lay. I hope they understand. I have never wanted to make a frittata so bad- but I feel I can't spare the eggs!!!

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    When mine first started laying, some of them took awhile to get it in the nesting box. Also, do you have golf balls or fake eggs in the nesting box?

If the nesting box has to be outside, I'd try a kitty litter box with the lid. (you know, the completely enclosed lid with the tunnel for them to get into) ETA: They like it dark and safe to lay their eggs.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by