NO!no baby no!good girl?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coltsrox, Jun 8, 2008.

1. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    PLEASE READ WHOLE THING I NEED ANWASERS TO ALL OF THIS!!!Alright yall know by now I have 2 12weeks (today!!!) babies. I love them so much but now whenever i put my hand in the cage their getting bolder, and my pullet pecks my ring EVERY single time!!! and when she tried eating out of my hand he pecks but when he ate corn he was so gentle! anyways i'm starting to get scared whenever i put my hand in the cage they rush to try and get out and considering I have 3 dogs around!!!
    Next week my Church is having a Vacation Bible School petting zoo and their supposed to have their debut but how am i to let kids touch them when they peck me?how can i stop them from pecking? do they listen to tones? my babies are getting viscious!!!!HELP!!!!

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    They peck at whatever catches their eye - and at that age are getting where their pecks can hurt.

I'd say they need a lot of adult supervision, or at least make sure the kids are standing up and leaning over to pet them, rather than at eye to eye contact.

They will peck at eyes because they just see something interesting and shiny, not because they are vicious.

Same as for moles, freckles, shoe laces, you name it. They are trying to figure out what is edible...

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    That is just normal chick behavior ... like arlee said, they will peck at whatever catches their eye. Your ring is a for sure peck getter.

If you still choose to take them to VBS then they should only be held with strict adult supervision both to protect them and the kids.

Mine peck at everything also but don't peck once we are holding them.

4. coltsrox

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    but now i'm scared to put my hand in the hutch for fear of them pecking my hand,,can i stop them?

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It's a chicken's natural instinct to peck. That's how they find out what's food and what's not.
    To allow the children to pet them I would suggest that you hold them in your arm with their head facing your back. Kinda like a football hold. That way the children can pet their backs and the back of their necks with the "dangerous" part facing away.

6. coltsrox

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    ok good thanx but now (no offense) i don't care about the kids,,what about me?how do i stop them? everytime i open the cage they rush to get out and start trying to peck me! their monsters now!!!
    P.S. when are they no longer babies and i have to move to another part of the forum?

7. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Did you try and take your ring off. I had to.

8. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Do you have 2 chicks that are 12 weeks old or chicks that are two and half weeks old?

If they're 2 1/2 weeks old then the pecks shouldn't really hurt unless they are very aggressive. I lost track of how old my teenagers are but their pecks are starting to huet. Especially the chigger bites that I scratched to death.

Don't be afraid of them. Get them used to being handled.

9. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    My chicks loved to go for anything sparkly, like rings and necklaces. They would also go straight for my eyes if I wasnt careful when I was laying on the floor near them. I think they saw my eyelashes fluttering up and down and thought they were treats. Heh.

The chicks are not trying to hurt you. They are just being chickens and they explore much of their world through their beaks. I could always tell when they were overly interested in my ring or my lashes and I would gently push their head away and distract them. I think if your chickens are going that crazy when you open the brooder maybe they are getting too cramped or bored in there??? Maybe a little chickie exercise would help.

10. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Do they have enough room in their cage and do you keep food in there at all times (you should)?

They will peck at rings so take it off if it bothers you for them to peck at it. As far as eating out of your hands - they do tend to peck a little hard when eating so again if it bothers you don't feed them out of your hands. Keep plenty of food in their cage and I don't think they will charge at you and peck you.

You're lucky yours want to get near you and peck at you - that's actually a good sign of an affectionate chick. Most of us have the opposite problem - the chicks run like we've got an axe in our hands. I have many that I could not get to get close enough to me to peck me and would never be able to get them to eat out of my hands. Enjoy your little friends - their pecks can't harm you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by