No not sick again!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crazyhen, Feb 7, 2011.

1. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    As some will remember my hens had a runny clear drainage from their nose the last of Dec. We thought it was weather, water etc. Well they got better, seemed well, laying well etc.
    Today I saw two that were lethargic. I picked them up and they have chest congestion. I am so afraid it might be CRD. I called the vet tech again and he is going to talk to his boss about coming out and doing blood test. I am npip reg. and they come every 4 months to check for ai and other things when I request it. I lost one hen in Dec.
    I feel so sad. Keep me in your thoughts. Gloria Jean

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Oh, Gloria Jean, I'm sorry! You are so darn careful with your birds and test way more than most NPIP folks do, too. Let me know what happens. Hope it's not what you think.

3. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Naturally the sickest has to be one of my very favorites. My little blue rock from Scotts eggs. She is such a sweety. The only breaks in security came while I was gone. Two other people fed up for me when my caretaker could not get to the coop. She is older and was afraid of going down in the snow. They were sick within a week the first time when I got back. One was a cattle farmer who had been everywhere with his boots I am sure. That or either a birds dropping into the wired run. The birds don't get in but their droppings could. Sometimes life hands you hard problems. If they have this terrrible stuff. I will start over but I would not want to use the same run or coop again. After all that work. I will also keep my num. down lower than this winter. I had 24 and for me that is too many to pet properly. Keep me in your thoughts. The vet tech will let me know tomorrow when he can come. I hope it is soon.
    My mixed marans that look copper have started to lay. ....... Gloria Jean

PS if they are sick I will not be allowed any chicks until the first part of April.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I was going to tell you that I may not have the Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas that I planned anyway. Her Ameraucanas are not really laying so she has them in with the EEs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by