No one can say chickens don't have feelings...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Jmurcks, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Jmurcks

Jmurcks Songster

Oct 30, 2009
    North Alabama
    I had two chicks I had raised together that are now 3 months old.
    They were both roosters. One I promised to my sister and she finally got him yesterday.

The other roo cried and cried missing his brother! It was so sad! I sat with him for the longest hoping he would feel better...
    Even today he has moped around in the saddest fashion... just heartbroken...

I have to say this: chickens never cease to amaze me... I was so unaware of how smart and loving these little guys can be!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member 11 Years

I know that well. If you've read my story of Ivy and her sister, Lexie, refusing to leave her side as she passed on, you'll see I agree with you. They become very attached to each other.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Chickens DO have feelings, but I don't think it's like human feelings exactly. If he is alone now, he needs some hens for company. Chickens are flock animals, they need their own kind around.

The reason I separate them from human emotions is in 18 years I have seen some mourn the loss of a flockmate. And I have seen some kill and eat a sick flockmate. It's a different world for chickens.

4. oesdog

oesdog Songster

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Yeah they do - Bertha my hen is the same. When one of her chicks was hatched with its guts on the outside - well we had to take it and cull it which was sad. But there was a moment when I lifted the tiny thing and it made a noise and my eyes met Bertha's and she just knew!!!!!!!! There was deffinately that moment between us.
    Now she has 4 - 9week old chicks and well we were told that you can part them at about 8 weeks. So we did only Bertha didn;t like that one bit. She actually sobbed for 3 days and it got so bad I just caved and gave them all back to her! I felt like I was a really bad person!Honestly never heard a hen sob before but she deffinately did!!! They most awful cry it broke my heart! - Are you sure your sister wont take the other roo as well???????? I have two chicks I have raised in the brood box and they screech something awful if I lift one out for any reason! They are 8 weeks old now! - Yeah chickens are not daft and they certainly dooooooooooo have feelings!!!!!!!!!!!

Oesdog - [​IMG]

5. Keene's coop

Keene's coop Songster

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    i agree. 2 days ago our neighbors dog killed 5 out 6 chickens. she will not leave the coop or get off her roost, unless she eats and drinks, then she's back on her roost. won't even come down for treats. she's making strange noises. i've looked her over very good and she escaped without a scratch. she's a fast bird cuz she managed to out run a husky

6. blueraspberry

blueraspberry In the Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    i feel bad for him:hugs

7. Jmurcks

Jmurcks Songster

Oct 30, 2009
    North Alabama
    All those stories are just heart wrenching! These are amazing little critters...

This little guy isn't alone actually... he is in with 5 hens and one older rooster...
    He just doesn't care! He misses his brother!

If it wasn't for my rooster getting so close to retirement I would have told her to take this one, too!

I haven't talked to her today to see how the other one is but he went with several other chickens, too, so maybe they will eventually go to their new flocks and be ok!

8. Jmurcks

Jmurcks Songster

Oct 30, 2009
    North Alabama
    Quote:They are definitely a one of a kind animal!
    Haha, it really is hard to get so attached to them and then watch them playing in the yard while eating a grilled chicken sandwich!

Chicken love - it's complicated! [​IMG]

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Oh yes they have feelings...just recently I lost my Thor (my avatar) and one of the girls especially took it hard...she would not eat or drink for 2 days, at night I caught her lying in the place where he fell rather than on the roost. She was lying next to his body when he was found. They certainly can grieve, mourn and love. Thor was a testament and my proof that chickens can love and protect humans too.

Just give your little guy some extra TLC and attention. He will find himself again in a few days.

10. alaskachick

alaskachick Songster

Jun 13, 2010
    Wasilla, Alaska
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: