No one ever mentioned.......

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tracyrene, Jul 28, 2010.

1. tracyrene

tracyrene In the Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Granite Falls
    having to worm my chickens! Does everyone do it? Do they all have worms? How do they get worms? It's kinda gross to think about! Should I just assume mine are going to have worms? Or that they already do?

2. chkn

chkn Songster

Jun 27, 2010
    I actually have never wormed my chickens. I've been having chickens for about 16 years. I had one test recently for parasites and it was negative. It's probably not a bad idea, parasites slow their laying. It also might depend where you live how much of an infestation you can get. I may do it in the late fall but I'm in no hurry.

3. MeettheFlockers

MeettheFlockers Songster

Apr 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    They can get worms from the soil and in the grass. It's a very good idea to worm them every 3-6 months especially with a wormer that covers broad spectrum worms. Worms can absolutely destroy a chickens digestive system and often kill your prized flockers.

4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    SO what do you use to worm your birds?

5. socks

socks Songster

Apr 12, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    Hmmm.... I haven't wormed yet either and really am reluctant to use anything invasive....i.e. chemical. I was adding cayenne pepper to their drinking water as I had heard that it might help them avoid worms and perhaps even help them to lay but I stopped that a month or more ago when the weather started getting stinking hot thinking that this might be heating them up.....I'd like to know if there is any other natural preventative. I only have 4 so I figure they might not be as prone to it???

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    The best way to tell if a chicken has worms is to take take a fecal sample to a vet and let them determine if there's worms and what type, then you can treat accordinglly. Cayenne pepper and other natural organics are preventatives, not treatments.

7. tracyrene

tracyrene In the Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Granite Falls
    Okay, my chickens (chicks) range in age from 4 weeks to 1 week. What age is best to start worming? I have read approx. 4 months courtesy of BYC. Although, I have also read on here 1 year and never!? Since mine are young, am I safe to assume they don't have worms and start with preventive methods? How exactly do you use the cayenne pepper? Just dried peppers in the water? And how much? I have also read about pumpkin seeds?
    Are worms more likely in hotter climates? I'm in Washington, not real hot here.
    Thank you so much for the replies so far! I'm looking forward to learning more!
    Anything else anyone can point out for a newbie would be greatly appreciated! Honestly I thought I'd hatch them, love on them, put them in their new coop around 6-7 weeks and wait for eggs! I am thankful for this site.....I spend hours on here reading!

8. dawg53

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    First of all, I've never heard of anyone putting cayenne pepper in water, in their feed...yes. I've sprinkled a liberal quantity in their feed on occasion, but not regularly. Dont use chemicals as a preventative, use them when you know they have worms as a treatment. How do you know if they have worms? They will become lethargic, reduced eating and drinking, slowed or stopped laying eggs. They just dont act like a chicken should. If there's an infestation of worms, it's possible to see them in their poop. When you see these things happen in one of your chickens...it's time to use wazine 17, forget the natural wormers. You dont want to use chemicals as a preventative, worm immunity could occur. If you have wet or damp soil where your at, that is condusive for worms,especially if the weather is warm or hot. I have to worm mine 4 times a year, it's swampy here. When is the best time to worm? You have observe your chickens on a daily basis for the signs I mentioned.

9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Did you mention what chemical remedy you use? I got DE and heard that , that is good for worms. It's wet here too.

10. dawg53

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    As I mentioned im post #8, wazine 17 should be used at first. DE is useless against worms because it's useless when wet...like inside the chickens' innards.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by