No one ever warned me about these....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Amanda0609, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Amanda0609

Amanda0609 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    6 RIR chicks, seemed perfectly harmless. I just wanted some chickens for eggs. I had no idea they were a dangerous "gateway drug". In an effort to learn as much about them as I could I started reading this forum. They just needed a simple little coop, well that turned into an 8 x 8 shed with a metal roof, windows and curtains. Yes I put curtains in my coop [​IMG]. Went to the feed store and fell in love with the ducklings, so one came home with me (Norma has since moved to a friends house because she was really loud and the neighbors did not approve [​IMG]) Lost 2 chicks so I bought 3 BR. Then I started reading the other pets section, so then I decided I needed a rabbit. I am also longing to get a GSD one of these days. Then I found the hobby section so now I am also horribly addicted to swaps on here. Now I am wondering if I could get away with having a goat in my back yard. Next year I am going to raise meaties and get a few silkies. I really wish someone would have told me that getting chickens to lead to other animals and that I would be totally obsessed with reading a chicken forum all day long. For the record all of my friends and family think I have totally lost my mind. But I don't care, I have found that I have much more in common with people on here that I will never met in person that I do with friends I have had for years. So I am an addict but I have no plans of trying to quit any of this [​IMG]

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    This seems to happen to a lot of people... getting on for the heck of it, visiting the site, and deciding "Oh my gosh, i need chickens!'' and then going crazy about the birds.

3. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I love little chicks, love my chickens even my mean roo. I got started by hatching chicks for a preschool project and thought "I'll just keep a couple" They both ended up being roosters but no worries, I got more...

They are quite addictive and I wish I had room for more than a couple of breeds. Hopefully soon I can move to the country!

4. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] There is no cure once you are exposed to feathered friends! *Vincent Price laugh*

5. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    My wife's responses to my addiction.

Please can I get more chicks?
    NO!

Can I get some goats?
    NO!

A puppy?
    NO!

Cow?
    NO!

Pony?
    NO!

I am allowed to have mystical or mythical creatures though since she is pretty sure that I can never find them on craigslist.

6. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    If you really love duckies, go and find some Muscovy ducks, they make no quacking sounds, but a really pretty hissing sound, pretty quiet! But you have to have more than one, because it will get lonely. Muscovy eggs taste pretty good, and make great baked goods!

7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:The nail in the addiction coffin. Always so sad...

8. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Is your wife disguised as my husband? (Hope she's not as hairy...)

9. Amanda0609

Amanda0609 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Quote:Get a rabbit and tie some fake antlers on it, tell her its a jackalope. Or get a pony and tie a horn on, that one could be a unicorn [​IMG] I have been looking for Muscovys, can't find any in my area. My other duck wasn't lonely I raised her with a BR that was only a week older than she was. I loved my duck but can't say I miss the mess! Norma was sooo messy. My husband thinks he can stop me from picking up some silkies next spring, well he can't stop me from going to get feed so it won't happen. I don't see how he could really say no, they are so little. They won't eat much.

10. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Got the four GSLs from the feed store... their getting into the Egg Laying Mode (no egg yet)

But, now I've also got 2 BR/EE chicks, fully feathered in my shower...

And the only reason I could resist the UBER cute white chicks they had at the other feed store Tuesday was because I was worried the two BRs wouldn't play well with others...

I was warned... but did I listen... NOOOOOOooooo.... I'm in deep doo...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by