No one has even begun to lay...

chickensandhappiness

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2018
I got a lot of new chickens this year and 2 ducks! In May, I got 4 cuckoo marans, 2 black jersey giants and a silkie. In June I got a white pekin duck and a blue swedish duck and in August I hatched out some frizzle/sizzle easter egger chicks. I thought the chicks I got in May and my ducks would start laying in the Fall or early Winter, but no one is laying. Every year prior to this one, I have gotten chicks earlier (February/March) and they always began laying in the beginning of Summer. Getting chickens/ducks mid year is new to me so will they lay anytime soon? Is there something wrong? Will they lay when it gets warm again? Thanks!

Do you have some pictures of them you can post? My chicks that hatched about the same time you got yours have just started to lay. I got my first pullet egg from them a couple of days ago. I have several that look like they're ready so I expect I should be getting more eggs shortly.

Some birds take longer to start laying. I have had some pure breeds that didn't start laying until they were 8/9 months old.

Do you have some pictures of them you can post? My chicks that hatched about the same time you got yours have just started to lay. I got my first pullet egg from them a couple of days ago. I have several that look like they're ready so I expect I should be getting more eggs shortly.
Here are some pictures of my girls (sorry the duck pictures are so bad they are very shy lol)

Attachments

• IMG_5573 2.jpg
    IMG_5573 2.jpg
    532.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5550.jpg
    IMG_5550.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5547 2.jpg
    IMG_5547 2.jpg
    701.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4331.jpg
    IMG_4331.jpg