No one? I've got pictures! Papa goose with 'his' new babies :)

Discussion in 'Geese' started by shelleyd2008, Apr 9, 2011.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I bought 2 goslings at the auction last night, unfortunately I'm going to take one back. I was wanting embdens and the bigger of the 2 looks more like a white chinese. Rather than keeping it until I get attached I'll just rehome it and hope I was right [​IMG]

Anyway, this morning I took the babies over to where my geese were lounging in the yard since for some reason they apparently hadn't seen them yet. Papa goose (I actually have 5 ganders but this one is always the 'baby keeper') took right up with them! Unfortunately the rest of the geese weren't quite as welcoming and Papa goose is apparently low-man on the totem pole so he kept getting 'run-off' from the babies. They are now in a pen outside until the older geese accept them [​IMG]

Anyway, here's a few pics of Papa goose with 'his' new babies!
    [​IMG]

Papa with another 'low-man'
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

He sat by their pen most of the day but he was not very comfortable with being separated from the rest of the gaggle. I'll probably keep the smaller gosling in the pen until the 3 I have in the house are big enough to go outside to stay [​IMG] Luckily with these temps, that will only be a week or two [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  2. animaladdictions

animaladdictions Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Simply ADORABLE [​IMG] What a sweet "poppa goose" he is taking youngsters under his wing like that! Ha! Get it!? Under his wing! Ok Ok, I guess its not THAT funny. LOL Thanks for the cute pics... They made me smile [​IMG]

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    He does look like a proud papa. [​IMG]

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    That is so cute. It is interesting to learn more about the social behavior of the flock.

5. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Love the pics Shelley!!! My ganders are such good daddy's too!!

Laurie

6. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    So nice that he wants to take over the babies care, love the picture of him walking away up the road with his little charges. I may follow your experience and try our spare gander as a foster father [​IMG]

Pete

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by