no one seems to understand me!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by holachicka, May 18, 2010.

1. holachicka

holachicka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Folsom, CA
    So, I'm a thirty year old mother of two stay at home mom, living on 5 acres in CA... and ALL of my friends here seem to think I'm some sort of freak... First because I decided to raise chickens for eggs and eventually meat... "how can you kill something that you raised" and "Why, you can just buy eggs at the store..." [​IMG] and now because I'm taking up the STRANGE hobby of raising quail for meat and eggs... Everyone I know besides my parents and my hubbies gradparents are rolling their eyes at me like I'm some sort of freak and it's getting REALLY old!!! [​IMG] My chickens are not yet giving us eggs, but I'm sorely tempted to be bitter and not share with those who act like I'm some sort of mutant for wanting to contribute what I can to my family the best that I can while I'm home, and eat more healthy foods! [​IMG] Plus I'm working on getting a vegetable garden going so that I can grow most of our families produce and store it year round until next years harvest. everyone seems to think thats strange too. [​IMG] Then if I even talk about getting a couple of pigs to raise for meat... I'm the meanest person in the world because pigs are so smart and become pets so easily... Mind you none of my friends will blink at eating a piece of ham or bacon, and don't consider in the least what that animal has gone through before slaughter... [​IMG] *sigh* Maybe it's the age group of people I'm talking to, maybe it's californians... I don't know. Just need to know that I'm not a freak please!!![​IMG]

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    No you are not a freak, it is just that people are so "removed" from the raising of livestock. They can eat whatever they want and you just take care of yourself and your family on "wholesome" foods! So who got the better deal? You do!

3. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Quote:If they're like that, would you really consider them "friends"? A good friend wouldn't call you a freak up to the point were it's getting on your nerves. My friends are awesome to me, even though they think having a duck and chickens in the city is a bit strange...they could careless! Why don't you give them a talk or something if it's bothering you that much? I'm still young so don't rely on me for things like this...[​IMG] Good luck!

4. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    The feathered duck boy is right. You have to be you. As you get more into this 'hobby' for lack of a perfect word, you will find more like minds. You're okay. [​IMG]
    sorry, 'pet" duck boy. I don't know where the feathers came from. I haven't been right lately. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  5. Foleys

Foleys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    Quote:If they're like that, would you really consider them "friends"? A good friend wouldn't call you a freak up to the point were it's getting on your nerves. My friends are awesome to me, even though they think having a duck and chickens in the city is a bit strange...they could careless! Why don't you give them a talk or something if it's bothering you that much? I'm still young so don't rely on me for things like this...[​IMG] Good luck!

I agree are they really ur friends! You are not a freak.

6. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Quote:You are not a freak.
    You can change everyones mind quite easily.
    Have them all over for a meal at the end of the summer, and serve up some good meat and eggs to them.
    They will shut up real fast, once they have tasted them.
    Oh, and gift them with a copy of Food Inc.

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Sounds to me like you need new friends.

8. holachicka

holachicka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Folsom, CA
    I knew people on here would support me! no one has ever called me a freak to my face, but the comments like "I will never eat any meat at your house ever again" kinda make me feel like that's exactly what they're saying!

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I would turn around and tell them "Ok, then. You go ahead and eat the chemicals and artificial additives, and I will eat my organic, homegrown, chemical free foods" And then smile. So they won't eat it - more for you. Tell them tobring the hot dogs for themselves and they can watch you eat a nice big fat juicy homegrown rib-eye.

10. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Quote:Yeah, get them to watch food Inc and Fresh the Movie.
    They need to learn all about how nasty their food really is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by