No one told me Bantam Roosters were so quiet

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by zzzzac, Jul 21, 2011.

1. zzzzac

zzzzac Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Melbourne, Fl
    I bought 3chicks from TSC's bantam bin in march and 2 turned out to be roos. They are grown and one has been crowing for about a month, I was not looking forward to having to get rid of them, but now it seems as though i won't need to.
    When he crows it sounds like a dogs toy that lasts a bit longer than it should. Its really kind of funny.

I had a Huge Americana Roo for about a year before and i would let him sleep in the laundry-room and then go outside with the flock when i would leave for work. You could hear him 4-5 houses away, I would just wait for the neighbors to complain. I made myself so paranoid that he bothered them, I sold him. But I still wanted a roo...

So after I sold him i began talking to my neighbors and they told me that they never minded him, they knew i kept several chickens, and guineas, and geese but since I keep my house looking nice and clean they didn't care. They even offered to watch them when i'm away.

However my new roo is soo quiet no one even knows he's here and it is great. I only hear him when i am outside, you can't even hear him through the windows, but i am surprised i haven't read about this before. Does anyone else have a mini roo that is a soft crower?

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:Kind of a luckofthedraw for me. I knew the sweetest silkie rooster who could and would crow all day, louder than any standard rooster I've ever heard. That said I also kept a mutty EE rooster who didn't crow at all. Congratulations [​IMG]

3. alaina

alaina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    North middle TN
    I have 3 banty roos that crow fairly loudly, from TSC as well. Not as loud as my bigger roos, but still I can hear them, (but not from inside the house)

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by