1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No one told me figure out who is who would be this hard.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by porkchop48, Aug 10, 2011.

1. porkchop48

porkchop48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    I am trying to figure out who is who in my flock so I can figure out who will be being butchered when the time comes.

I have 4 distinct roosters picked out ( 2 of them are staying)

But as I look at the other ones it drives me nuts. One minute think one is a roo the next minute I am thinking hen. Why did no one tell my chickens they should have huge combs so I can be sure? [​IMG]

I have two awesome looking buffs that I would hate to butcher is they were not roos but their combs are bigger than the other two. Then I have some scragglies that look like they may be roos but just young ones [​IMG]

Sorry just needed to vent. I swear I have gone from thinking I have 4 roos one minutes to thinking I have 14 then next [​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    photos? Good big whole side body shots??

3. porkchop48

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    I have one pic. I know I know ... Kinda pathetic one pic :)
    [​IMG]

I will work on taking some more pics of them. PLus they are starting to get some feathers back and I need to take some updated pic of them.

More pics coming soon.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I see a bunch of hens with alot of bare bottoms:( are they molting? or getting feather plucked?

5. porkchop48

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    I will try to make this short.

Those are some of the nicer looking ones. Some are almost completely bald.

I answered an ad on craiglist for laying hens. You has to take them all ( $2.00 each) there ended up being 53 of them. The lady said there was 2 roosters ( she was wrong but that is besides the point)

They has been fed nothing but corn and bread for over 3 months, no green grass weeds or anything to be found in their pen. Their pen/run was about 20 ft long and about 6 ft wide. So I think due to poor diet and overcrowding they were plucking each other feathers. if they were not sold they were going to be just let go to fend for themselves in the woods. I am a softie I could not just leave them there.

Since being moved to my house a few weeks ago they are being fed a steady diet of layer crumbles, oyster shells, black oiled sunflower seeds, scrambled eggs and all the table scrapes they can eat. Their feathers are coming back in nicely ( most of them) and I am hoping after the excess roos are butchered it will help as well.

6. melodie_a

melodie_a Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    Thank goodness you stepped in when you did. I am sure that they are very appreciative of your "softie" side. [​IMG]

7. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not sure how old your chickens are but to put it as my son does, look for the ones doing their "Rooster duties". Watch for any breeding, the wing flap and if you throw something in the air like a rock our roos all screech when they see it. Instead of trying to get rid of all the roos at once maybe wait till you are sure. I've had to find homes for 17 roos over the past year including 3 that were butchered because of attitudes. They have all been just a few at a time as needed. Good luck! Craigslist can be a bit scary - you never know what you are going to find.

8. homesteadapps

homesteadapps Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Ohio
    For the roosters look for spurs (sharp sword looking things above the feet on the leg), or the rooster tail which is much larger on a rooster. Pointed saddle feathers instead of rounded is something else that can help. On a two year old rooster you can't miss any of these. The comb and wattles of a rooster are much larger on most breeds

As far as the light brown chickens, they look like comets or red stars and unless I'm missing something are hens.

The two Barred Rocks and the White Rock also look like hens.

I'd check for mites, because it looks like more then just feather plucking.

Below is a link that has an example of a hen and a rooster.

http://thechickencenter.com/plymouth-rock/

Edited to add this link

https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-mites.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by