No one wants to admit they're low chicken in the pecking order

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LiLRedCV, Oct 13, 2011.

1. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    So I was out at the new coop last night, checking on the 38 girls and 1 roo. This is the first time all have been housed in the same coop and they've only been out there for a couple of weeks. Anyway, when I peeked inside, this is what I found: [sorry for the blurry pics, they were all taken with my cell phone camera! LOL]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ONLY one not at the same level as all these other chickens is our one little lone Frizzle "Curly Q"! (the one on chicken on the first level nesting box in the far back was up on the far back wall roost when I opened the door - she quickly hopped down to the nest) "Curly Q" was huddled up in the corner of the floor all by herself, looking so sad and forlorn. So I'm going to attempt to figure out a ramp so she can have access to the roosts too!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Very nice new coop! Poor little Curly Q......Is she a bantam?

3. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    It's heartbreaking, isn't it? We only have 9 girls, but our lowest on the pecking order roams around by herself. She is one of our most beautiful, an EE, and she seems perfectly fine to do her own thing. But it is hard to watch.

4. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    Aw - my frizzles can't get off the ground either.

5. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    Here's "Curly Q"

[​IMG]

She hangs with the big girls during the day just fine, but at night she's just all by her little lonesome on the floor. [​IMG] We'll try to get that fixed this weekend when I've got some time to make her a little ladder to access the ladder! [​IMG]

I just thought it was funny that with all the roosting bar space in that coop, they ALL have to be at the same level. [​IMG] NOBODY wants to be on the bottom wrung or any in between on that ladder....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by