No one will ever believe my turkey hatching story!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jessaree, Apr 22, 2009.

1. jessaree

jessaree Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2008
    Anderson, TX
    My husband has wanted Rio Grande turkeys for quite some time...last fall, he got a breeding pair & some young ones, hoping for the start of his "flock"

Mama Jerry went missing about 3 or 4 weeks ago, we figured she was setting somewhere.

Last week, we saw her down by the pond, then we tried to find her nest, but she kept giving us the slip. Repetitive persistance finally paid off & her nest was found, but we didn't disturb it.

This past Saturday, we had a 5 1/2" flood in a very short amount of time, and after the rain quit, we decided to go check on Mama Jerry. She was not on her nest & the 6 eggs in her nest were partially underwater.

We did a big no-no & took the eggs. I wanted to at least see if they were fertile. They were cold as ice when we rescued them from the water & when I candled them, you could see the makings of babies in them, but they looked "liquidy". I wanted to throw them out, but with the incubator already going, hubby wanted to put them in for a "few days to see what happened".

Last night as I was sitting on the couch, I kept hearing "cheeps" from the incubator. I thought it was the rest of my chickens hatching. My daughter looked & hollers "the turkeys are hatching". I don't think hubby slept all night!

Had one hatch over night, another while we were at work & more trying. I would never have believed it if I hadn't have seen it for myself! (We're in trouble now...he wants to go into full-fledged Rio Grande business!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Great story & pics.

Imp

3. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Awww they are cute! Great story! [​IMG]

4. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I love that story too! It just goes to show that good things CAN happen.[​IMG]

5. ChevygirlBeth

ChevygirlBeth Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, that is amazing! Congrats on the new babies!

6. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    Great story - you are heros!!!! Congrats! [​IMG]

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Stories like that are what keep me coming back here.

Thanks, those poults are BEAUTIFUL!

8. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Amphibious turkeys - I'm afraid. Very afraid.

(they are really cute - good job on the hatch)

9. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Kudos to you and your hubby for saving those babies! It always makes me smile when I hear about husbands that are so into the birds. Lucky, lucky you!! AND lucky poults!!

10. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    YAY!!! I BELIEVE! I just hatched seven of eleven abused, foul, filthy, poorly turned, abandoned cold turkey eggs. I KNEW the odds going in. According to all the egg hatching "sites", not a rat's chance in ....... Well, mine like yours are now running around a brooder. Congrats and yeah those guys are adorable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by