no open bator after day 18.....BUT

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by momoftwinsinwi, Apr 13, 2009.

1. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    6 of my eggs are due this Saturday and I have eggs in there that are due a week later, and those still need to be turned?? what do do????

2. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I know some people move their eggs on day 18 to a hatcher. I'm not sure how to make one of those.... maybe there are plans for one here?

3. momoftwinsinwi

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    I thought they just stayed in the bator til they hatched???? am I missing something???

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    You can leave them in the incubator until they hatch, but some people have hatchers.... so they can mix in eggs with different hatch dates into the incubator. I only know what I read. I cheat... I use a broody hen, I do enough mothering around here! LOL [​IMG]

5. momoftwinsinwi

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    thanks!!! we'll see if I get anymore responses.....

6. byrandom

byrandom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Terrell, TX
    I've had chicks hatch in the auto turners. [​IMG] So I can't count sometimes! [​IMG]

7. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    We have a space about a foot under the turner where we set the day 18 eggs. We place them on non-skid drawer liner. Do you have a space in your's like that?

8. momoftwinsinwi

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    no I don't....still air little giant, no turner.....

9. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Sorry I don't know much about incubators, ours is homemade. Do you have to turn them by hand? And I assume your're worried about opening it to turn the others?

10. cici_p

cici_p Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Here is a cheat you can try if you don't have a hatcher:
    Dampen a paper towel with warm water. crack the lid as little as possible and slide it in over the eggs that will be hatching. Take out the tray with the non-hatching eggs and turn them. Put the tray with the eggs back in. Wait until your humidity returns to the hatching humidity and then crack the lid as little as possible and pull the paper towel out.
    This should keep the moisture in your eggs; however, the effect on your non-hatching eggs for being in a heightened humidity may not be good.
    Most people recommend not mixing hatches, because of the egg turning, and the difference in humidity.
    Some people also say that you can not turn the other eggs for the three days, but I personally cannot vouch for this.
    Im surprised nobody has chastised you already for breaking the rules [​IMG]
    Hope it goes okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by